A formatting question

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by StaticEyePee, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StaticEyePee

StaticEyePee Registered Member

After I format (NTFS) a 120 GB primary partition with Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009 boot CD, about 5 MB is occupied by the file system (prior to OS installation). But when I use other software, that size varies. For instance, when I format with Easeus Partition Master (with the same cluster size), it's 65 MB. It occured to me that different utilities might be creating a different-sized MFT but how can there be a difference in MFT size when there are no files. Could someone explain?

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

The different utilities could be writing the MFT differently, however the only difference should be the amount of space reserved for the MFT, not the actual data, it really doesn't make much difference, except that a larger reserved space for the MFT could help prevent fragmentation as the file system grows.

3. StaticEyePee

Thanks. If that's the only difference, then it really doesn't matter, since Windows by default reserves 12.5% of the volume for the MFT, which would be 15 GB in my case.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. StaticEyePee

Found one difference: Paragon creates NTFS v1.02, while Easeus creates v3.01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.