A first preview of F-Prot v4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EraserHW, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Maybe somone can translate it into english? The google translation is awful :eek:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You mean if I ask some Qs to him, he might give a license to me as well.:D

4. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

You can try :) I'm pretty sure that more than a "no" he won't kill you :D

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, may be sometime later, just before u try next time.:)

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Basically the article says nothing technical speciality's about F-prot v4. It's more like an very short "historical" overview. An article that fits 13 in a dozen.
    Just my 2 cts.

Gerard

7. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You know he can't just throw around licenses like that....Not without giving me one at least. :p :D

(j/k) :)

10. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

Got it! :thumb:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

:) :)

12. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I would only fix a thing about the preview. I quoted Michael into the article because he was the one who gave me the license, explained a lot technically his work and replied to my technical questions.
    But, of course, all Frisk team is doing nice things, from development team (Mario, Halldor, Oliver) to whole Virus Research Lab. I apologize if this wasn't clear in the article, the whole F-Prot engine was entirely rewritten and this is of course the most important work. Congratulations to the whole Frisk team :)

13. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

That sounds much better ;) Actually everyone here in the team has important tasks, there is not only Maximus and Heuristic. And if i can add some point more: I was slightly "shocked" that you wrote after the new gui review "now from the less important things to the important ones". The guys who are developing the gui feel somehow uh... "unimportant". There's a lot of work involved into other things which the end user doesn't see as a "result" in form of a detection or whatsover. All those work and modules combined together giving a av solution.

Marios work for instance is primary the binary emulation, which is important for heuristics as well. And btw when did i say that Armadillo IS ALREADY INCLUDED in unpacking support? :blink:

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't want a free license, but if the detection rates are improved to the at least Advanced and preferably Advanced + level, I would like to trial and if it runs as well as virtually everyone here says, I'll buy it. I know that the special test by IBK indicated it would rate Advanced.

Not sure when it is coming out, and I realize I am expecting too much in some areas considering the time frame, but I have a high degree of interest.

I know that the comments will be that detection rates are not nearly everything, and I fully agree. If it doesn't run on your machine it is not useful. However, folks like me, an average user, only have one way to judge effectiveness and that is IBKs test and a couple of others. Good reports here are valuable, but few have the expertise or tests labs to report results from a large number of malware.

Good work team, and best.
    Jerry

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

well, if something in the review is wrong it can be fixed internally with the hwupgrade editors. i think the author wrote the review based on the information given to him by fprot and other sources, so maybe there was some bit of misunderstanding or lack of information. the info about armadillo can be removed, and the work of mario was maybe not told to the reviewer, which could explain why it is not mentioned. anyway this can all be solved somehow privatly.
    about the gui thing: in italian it sounds quite ok: even if a gui is important, what is behind the gui remains still more important, so the sentence makes sense. i think the more correct translation is more or less "After seeing the new GUI and some “not-so-relevant” characteristics, now let's put the attention...." (probably my first translation was not very accurate)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.