A firewall for my wife

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cello, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cello

cello Registered Member

As the title says, I need some advice on this subject.

His PC is behind a router with NAT and SPI firewall, has an AV installed (Avast! Home edition), and he's browsing the internet via firefox (with noscript) using SandboxIE.
    I only wanted to add a software firewall because I'm not comfortable about outbound traffic and application control.

On my own PC I'm using (flawlessy) Jetico v1, but for my wife I need a firewall that matches those requirements:

1) It's freeware
    2) Has a low memory usage
    3) Has a GUI talking italian
    4) It's a bit less intrusive than Jetico

I know, I could teach english and Computer Science to my wife :D; but, in the meanwhile, I need some piece of alternative software

I found that PCTools Firewall seems a good one for my needs (if I interpreted correctly, it's Ln'S based - and has an italian translation too); I only would like to know if, with the setup I mentioned, I lose so much protection using that firewall instead of Jetico, or if you could suggest me some alternative.

Thanks a lot

Cello

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

PC Tools Firewall should provide good protection unless you are worried about leaktests.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have you thought about a freeze program ? I have a wife and son using
    DeepFreeze 6 www.faronics.com and Returnil www.returnilvirtualsystem.com
    free for personal use. Each laptop only uses the Windows Firewall and has no antivirus nor anti-spyware programs running. Neither my wife or son have any idea of how the program works, nor do they need to. The just use their machines and let me deal with updates and changes.

4. cello

cello Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser.

Good hint, thanks! But I'm still concerned about a downloaded trojan or keylogger stealing information from his PC. I don't think a freeze program could block this kind of attack, nor Windows firewall is blocking outbound connections, so I tkink I need a better firewall anyway.
    Or I can rely on the SPI feature of my router?

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

You must make your own decision but I think the hardware firewall is the most important security measure anyone can take.

I don't know your surfing habits or those of your wife - but when did you last
    download a trojan or loose information to a key logger. I'm not saying it can't happen but having never seen a virus or suffered with spyware I'm curious to know if people are protecting themselves from something real or just protecting themselves.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello cello.

Router's SPI does not protect you from leaking (keylogging stuff), it will only stop unsolicited inbound connection attempts.
    Suggested hardware firewall also does not do outbound control.
    Freeze programs are not security (prevention) tools. These are remedies.

It's a shame Comodo Firewall still has no Italian translation :mad:

I think you/wife should be well off with PCTools. It's the only one I'm aware of that satisfies all your needs from post #1. It's not the king of outbound control, but it is still better than many big players like ZA free, Avira, McAfee or Blink. See here for more leak test results.

Ciao. :)

7. cello

cello Registered Member

So I think I'll stick with HW firewall + PCTools + Avast + SandboxIE and add an imaging software. Thanks to everyone!

8. cello

cello Registered Member

Maybe I've found the alternative solution I was looking for: it seems that my wife like Xubuntu!

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Good for you Cello. That she's willing to abandon window's embrace linux for her online adventure's, the better.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I didn't see what operating system you are useing but the firewall in Vista does filter outbound as well as inbound.

11. cello

cello Registered Member

Still using XP Pro and I'm not planning a switch to Vista, but now (as stated) on a dual-boot system with Xubuntu (wich seems to work flawlessy for my wife needs - e.g. Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org)

Thanks

12. cello

cello Registered Member

Not a big shame for a top notch but free firewall (that of course I like, altought I'm still using Jetico v.1); but I saw in Comodo forums that an Italian translation is being developed for Comodo v.3: I'll sure give it a try and I hope many other people like me in Italy!

13. chilloo

chilloo Registered Member

A useful thread for all others wives too ;)

14. cello

cello Registered Member

That's why forums are out there :D

She's becoming a major Linux geek! Maybe I'll ask her to learn how to configure Samba and become my household net admin :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.