A firewall for Mamutu and Vipre AV combo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jaodsvuda, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

I have a Mamutu license (for 200 and some more days),and it must be used on a WinXP sp3 system with Vipre AV.My Question is - which
    (free) firewall should I use with them (I do not have a router) ?
    - Online Armor free (should I leave a HIPS on ?) to go along with Mamutu ?
    - Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.7 Beta (HIPS on/off) to go along with Vipre AV ?
    - Private fw with/without HIPS ?
    - Something else ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. guest

guest Guest

i suggest (because i used it) online armor free HIPS "on" (HIPS and BB may overlap but didnt conflict)

3. jaodsvuda

Thanks !

4. gery

gery Registered Member

since you have Mamutu i think you only need a normal and good firewall. Something like ZoneAlarm free ( i recommend it ) or Outpost Firewall free from Agnitum which is really cool too

5. jaodsvuda

I´ve used ZA free a couple of years ago,so I´m not familiar with it now.Same thing with AO fw.Must check both on forum .Thank you.

6. operamail

operamail Registered Member

I suggest you go with Online Armor with HIPS on(you won't get too much popups coming up with the new released version). You are running Mamutu, since it comes from the same company as OA, the potential conflict can be minimized.

7. jaodsvuda

Testing that option right now.System needs a couple of days to settle down (HIPS & BB are reacting separately,on different triggers,but at least I have an option to decide what to do).
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. jaodsvuda

Had to uninstall Online Armor free. :(
    Didn´t mind the pop-ups (that´s what I asked for),but the system was crippled (c´mmon,1 extra sec for every simple everyday operation like - shutting down TotalCommander ?).It was like somebody gave a morphine shot to my mouse...
    Now I´m on a Private Firewall with HIPS ON,and it seems like Mamutu doesn't complain about it .The only drawback is BufferZone´s incompatibility with anything coming from Emsisoft,so I´m stuck with SBIE free.:(
    "Finding a perfect fw-companion to my Vipre-Mamutu team" quest is still on !

9. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

what about windows firewall? on xp it is just for incoming connections, but with your setup i think that is just fine.

10. jaodsvuda

No,it´s not safe enough for my internet habits ( a lot of "in´s and out´s").

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, clearly you and I have different definitions of 'crippled'.
    1 extra second for simple operations like shutting down a program, is something I could live with (and have lived with) especially if alternatives are being exhausted.
    But I've heard people complain about even smaller increments of time delay, so I'm not shocked.

12. jaodsvuda

Page42 ...Right now,I´m using 1st half of your sig (not intentionaly),so something tells me that those extra sec´s does count at the end of the day... ;)

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to use something just because you have a license for it.
    People and their preferences change (not to mention their machines and accompanying software), and sometimes it becomes not unlike a sentence being served, when a user endeavors to ride out the term of a license. I suppose the thinking is, "I paid for it, so I'm gonna wring every last drop of life out of it I can possibly get". Sometimes this type of thinking prevails even when the licenses in question weren't paid for... like they were free gifts.

And if a user replaces a 'paid for' license with a free one, where is the loss?

I never let the length of the license term dictate to me how long a software is going to reside on my machines.

Just a thought. :)

14. jaodsvuda

You´re right,not gonna question that...

...and now...Enter : some (more) light upon a subject :

- I´m in the "HIPS/BB phase" of my life (so it´s : Malware Defender or something lighter;Comodo is out of the picture);Mamutu fits in
    - I´m running a dual-boot system (WinXP sp3 & Win7 x64);WinXP is there because of some older software/hardware components I´m loving/running it
    - Win7 will be guarded by Emsisoft AntiMalware (intention was to pair it with OA Premium)
    - OA free (on XP) had a test-role before (Win7) OA Premium purchasing (now I´m not so sure,though It´s impressive)
    - Mamutu proved it´s value on my system (informed me about some hidden not wanted "phone-home" actions,eg.ArcSoft´s from Leadtek tv-card software,Playclaw from GaoTD etc. no fw with HIPS on did) ...
    - eager to fully test Vipre AV

As you can see,a bunch of little things that shaped my initial question (,and to be honest,I would be a "happy-puppy" if OA didn´t put me down so much).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. jaodsvuda

Have to take back what I wrote about Online Armor free.Decided to give it another turn,and it seems the problem was not in general "heaviness" / incompatibility of this fw with other apps (Vipre etc.).Unlocked (and defective) 3rd core of my Phenom II was to blame. :p
    At this moment,my 2-core system with same software setup works smoother than my 3-core was,and this fw behaves well.
    I´m happy. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.