A few questions..

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Fuzzydice45, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Hi,
    I've just installed the free version of Returnil and so far i'm loving it.
    Just had a few questions though..

What happens if my computer crashes with the protection on?
    Does Session Lock offer the same protection as the normal protection, but it just adds the ability to be turned on without having to restart?
    Does the paid/future release have an option to ask whether you want to keep or delete any changes at shutdown?

I like to keep changes unless i know i've been infected with something, so an option to have a popup come up when i try to shutdown that asks whether i want to keep the changes or not would be great, instead of having to go into the settings and changing them on every shutdown/startup.

For security reasons it should automatically default to delete any changes, as some malware can force a shutdown and get itself hooked in nice and deep when the computer starts back up.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Fuzzydice45 and welcome to the forums :)

The system should reboot as though the crash did not happen. If this invoves a hardware crash (Video card or memory goes bad for example), you may still get a crash but it should not effect your Operating system or being able to restart once the HW issues have been rectified...

Yes, SL is simply a temporary activation of the System Protection feature that turns the protection on without a restart but is off when the computer restarts. In version 3 this is more intuitive as activation of the protection can be started without a reboot and further configured to be always on at the next restart of the computer. IOW, you do not have to restart the system immediately to configure as always on.

Yes and no. The option to save all changes made during the current virtual session is available, but selective changes "en-mass" is not. You can however make selective changes during the virtual session by using the right click commit, File Manager, and/or drag & Drop to the toolbar.

We are also working to include selective registry changes in v3.

Version 2 will allow selective file and folder changes to be made in session as described above but there is still a security consideration as to how convenient this should be overall. The easier it is to save content to the real disk, the easier it is to become infected. To address this, we are adding malware detection in v3 that will be there to scan these files and folders before committing them to the real system.

The 3x generation will also see the begining of behavioral analysis in preperation for the 4x generation which is in parallel development...

This is the default setting in all versions of Returnil and there is no incentive to change the basic design approach. The key to keeping your computer clean in the long term is to minimize the number of changes you make to it...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.