a few questions about Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by _ab, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi, i just installed sandboxie to add another security feature to my computer.
    Are there even better free progs for this task or is sandboxie good enough. Like i just mentioned in another posting, i´m currently using Antivir, SSM Free, BoClean & Comodo PF.

I am running only Firefox & the chat client in sandboxie. Is there anything special to know? The most visible change i noticed, that pictures cannot be drag & dropped anymore to the outer area (what is logical), but inside the sandbox changes seam to be permanent.

Is it possible to temporarily bypass the download protection, in case a download is wished? How can sandboxie be used for starting certain applications in a shortcut style?

Does sandboxie slow down the applications considerably?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

There are several alternatives to sandboxie like bufferzone, geswall, and defencewall. It should be noted that the latter 2 apps work differently than sandboxie; they use policy restrictions and they dont sandbox downloaded files like sandboxie does.

As for wanting a downloaded file, you can just get it out of the sandbox.

3. _ab

_ab Registered Member

hmm, thx. But how can this be done?

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You can right click the SBIE tray icon then in 'Contents of Sandbox' click 'Recover Files'.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There are also Immediate System Recovery softwares like FirstDefense-ISR, RollbackRx, ShadowUser, ShadowSurfer, PowerShadow, Returnil, DeepFreeze, ... to keep your computer clean.
    The only freeware here is Returnil, the rest is about $70 or less.

6. _ab

_ab Registered Member

ah, there ist was. thanks a lot.

7. innerpeace

Your welcome

8. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Yeah, just installed Returnil in a VM, looks interesting. But, lol, i guess it will be too much programs when i´d install this on top of SSM/BoClean/Sandboxie :)

9. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Not really. Many of us use even more. Besides arguably retunril is different from the rest of your other stuff anyway.

10. innerpeace

I regularly use SBIE, but if surfing to sites that would make my grandma blush :eek: or visiting sites that I'm not sure of, I turn on Returnils protection via Session Lock. There are others here that run both together and have had no problems doing so.

11. ErikAlbert

I'm also planning to use Returnil in September as a replacement for my frozen snapshot, which works with a Freeze Storage.
    So the plan is to combine a not-frozen snapshot with Returnil.
    It's not because I don't like my frozen snapshot, but I like to see how Returnil works in practice. I have a few minor issues with my frozen snapshot (nothing is perfect) and I want to try another combination.
    I don't need the Virtual Partition of Returnil, because I separated my system from data since March 2006.
    All these softwares have the same result : an unchanged harddisk, but they all do it in a different way.

12. _ab

_ab Registered Member

hmm, i tried it, but there where two minor problems: only C: can be protected & the large file on C: isn´t that nice either. Besides of that it seems a proper concept.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Also Returnil in use is a simple userfriendly app. with a great support and if you reject VP and instead use another part. or an ext. drive you are very easy to go.

14. ErikAlbert

DefenseWall has the function "Secured Files" to protect disks, folders, maybe files too, if an untrusted application tries to change them.
    If I put "D:\" in "Secured Files", I can't download anything in my data partition [D:] with Firefox.

I'm waiting for a software like Returnil or any other similar software that doesn't require a reboot to restore your harddisk.
    Since I use FDISR, I'm an expert in reboot. :)

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To disable not essential services in the startfolder and maybe some windows services if you dare,will cut on boottimes and make reboots not that painfull.

16. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I assume this "large file" you are referring to, is the VP Returnil adds? If theat is the case, then it can be pretty much any size you want it to be just set the size at install, or don't install the VP and then there is no file. I have it set to 1.5GB.
    SSM may not like this program, at the moment I am having a few problems with Returnil which I have yet to get to the bottom of.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174636
    SSM is one possibility for the source of the problem.
    All in all, I very much like the feel of the program, and will persevere for a while to see if I can make it work.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

after reading these threads for awhile i get the notion that install the VP causes some problems [ defrag PD,booterrors etc.]so i decided to put my created data in Returnil session on a second drive and to have no VP at all.This worked for me .

18. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Well, i had to uninstall Returnil, because i had the feeling that it was too much security programs. I saw some strange effects, besides after uninstalling Acronis seemed to be corrupt & had to be reinstalled. I don´t think the program is bad, but maybe some of the other security components just didn´t fit in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.