A Disk read error occured

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by TommyHilfiga, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyHilfiga

TommyHilfiga Guest

hello everyone,

I can't boot my PC anymore.
    I installed ADDS (with OS selector), made a new partition (primary) so that I could install a new OS, rebooted the computer and poof.

I couldn't reboot the computer anymore, and instead I got this:

A Disk read error occured
    Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Restart

I then tried to use the floppy disk to fix the MBR but I got this error:

waiting Acronis Loader
    XFDisk http://home.pages.de/~xfdisk will rewrite your
    Master Boot Record (MBR) automatically
    Remove data medium and reboot now if you don't want this.

Press any key to rewrite MBR...
    extended FDisk I Version 0.9.3 Beta EN
    written by Florian Painke & Ulrich Muller
    - Write MBR only

No Commands for booting operating system. Press <ENTER> to reboot

any help?
    thanks in advance

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the report.txt file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. esquire01

esquire01 Guest

The best way to solve this problem deleting all partitions and recreating all. All data will be lost but you can use the hdd again. I do this same now and the result is success.

4. Hidekun

Hidekun Registered Member

Has there been any resolution for this issue? I'm getting the same error after using the latest version of Acronis Disk Directory (Current date: Feb 26, 2006) to resize primary partition.

Wiping out the partition is not an option for me. I have too many documents that didn't make it to the backup checkpoint.

5. Hidekun

Update: I ran chkdisk on the primary partition which became corrupt. Good news is that the partition became accessible again. Bad news is bunch of critical OS files (and god knows what else) also became lost or corrupt. Each time I tried rebooting I got a message saying "Can't find file X.XXX" and basically it can't boot into Windows anymore until I replaced or repaird those files.

I had two options at this point. One was to try repairing windows, the other was to install a fresh copy of windows on top of the corrupted version (this leaves the filesystem intact while replacing Windows install). I opted for the latter since it was more reliable and my priority was in getting my documents back.

I was able to recover _most_ of the files in the corrupted partition. But now I'm afraid i'll be spending the next several weeks bringing the machine back to where it was before I used my paid Acronis Disk Director program.

I'm truely dissapointed, I decided to use a commercial partition tool so I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of problem. *sigh*

6. Acronis Support

7. Hidekun

I backed up all the files I can and wiped out the partitions so I won't be able to send a report. Here's what I did...

Environment:
    - Partition 0 (5 GIG) type 12 (90% full ) NTFS
    - Partition 1 (16GIG) type 7 primary (80% full) NTFS
    - Partition 2 (35GIG) type 7 (60% full) NTFS

I tried to create Partition 3 with 1GIG in capacity by taking space from Partition 1. I had to reboot to commit the changes so I did. The operation succeeded without warning and proceeded to rebooting. When it rebooted Partition 3 was created but Partition 1 was no longer accessible. The PC displayed "Disk Error.." on a blackscreen. When I went into the partition with DOS boot disk I recieved "Directory enumeration failed" when I tried Dir. I ran chkdisk on Partition 1 and the partition became accessible again but it also showed random file corruption. It was evident when Windows failed to boot from missing and/or corrupt OS files.

8. Acronis Support

Hello Hidekun,

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Having collected the report please submit a request as I have asked above. We will certainly try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. Hidekun

I said DoS Boot Disk out of habit. I actually used a DoS Boot CD to be precise since my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. Can your boot disk work from a USB drive?

10. Acronis Support

Hello Hidekun,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that the only possibility to create the report is to use floppy drive in case your system is not bootable.

I can recommend you to create Acronis Bootable Rescue CD and try to perform the resize operation booting from it.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.