A direct way to vote on government decisions online?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by deltakid, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltakid

deltakid Registered Member

What would be a rather bulletproof system that people could use to directly vote on government decisions?

Everyone carries a personal key on a small USB file that gets read when casting a vote over the Internet?

Would there be a way to somehow replace the government with a real time online democracy?

I see several problems with that but would love to hear your opinions on the technical aspect and the general problems that could come up.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No sufficient to have an identification key: another problem is how to be sure that once I voted my vote is transmitted without manipulation.
    This would be not representative democracy, but people's democracy, like partially in Switzerland. It can't work in modern and great countries: economic, social, environmental, technical... problems are complex, they need study, analysis, debate, can't be decides by an collective, improvised, emotional vote. This is reason for representative democracy.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Focusing on the technical aspects alone, what operating system would this run on? I don't want to think about such a system running on Windows. What a tempting target such a system would be. It would almost have to be a separate unit used for this purpose only on which it would be physically impossible for anything else to run. The next question is even better. Who could we trust to build it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.