A difficult question regarding tcpip stack

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

On one of my machines, recently I noticed that the Internet was going "slow". After reseting the network and winsock, things came back to life. I went through the netsh report I created and it mentioned bad values in the registry, pertaining to upper bind.

I then, for good measured restored the image to an earlier date - a good exercise in Acronis, btw - and things were fine. So I went through the install of several applications that had changed since the image, namely AVG 7.5, Firefox 2.0 and strangely the newest version of CCleaner.

I noticed that after I installed CCleaner and run a routine check at default setting that this change took place. I did two more image restorations, just to be sure. The result was the same.

My questions are:
    Is it possible that CCleaner messes up the stack? Is this a coincidence?
    Or am I saying total nonsense here?
    Anyone else ever had a similar experience?

Mrk

2. Mrkvonic

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What exactly is corrupting the winsock?

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Apparently, the error is not easily treceable or solvable.

But after installing the new version of CCleaner (.407 I think), running a basic analyze and clean (temp files - not issues!) corrupts the winsock. I know this sounds weird. But I did step by step, reinstall the applications after image reconstruction, and the Internet connection would drop after running a routine check with CCleaner. Checked it twice.

Several threads ongoing in CCleaner forum, linked from within the one I posted. They are fumbling in the dark. I'm sad and yet glad that I did have to discover this. I'll try to go deeper into it. If I have any smarter ideas, I'll keep you posted.

Mrk

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    I've seen these problems with cc before, many times. I tried it a long time ago. And I noticed the default settings were not safe. Seems things haven't changed. I have in the past & will continue to advise others to stay away from cc.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well, I guess you're right.
    Mrk

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Well I'm glad you're sorted.

I guess I'm resentful how cc is revered. People in forums I belong to, people I respect. Tout cc. I don't know why this bothers me. lol.

I've always though cc is a pos app.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Never had problems with it - so I'll be careful with my words.
    But I will temporarily take it off the recommended list in my Windows collection.
    And I'll keep in investigating.
    Mrk

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I noticed that the latest ccleaner installed some toolbar without my permission.
    I cen see how the developer is making more decisions behind your back.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

To be fair, on installation, the program asks you if you want to install the Yahoo toolbar.

Attached Files:

11. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

Wow! That's scary!! I use the latest version of CCleaner all the time. What do you think the exact setting is that caused the problem? I do not use its 'registry cleaner' any advise on what to un-tick, would be great.

If CCleaner is dangerous, anybody know of alternatives for this program?

In the past I've used & just tried it again 'Privacy Guardian' they make Spyware Doctor; however, $29.95 + $19.95 annually for updates seems rather expensive, likewise Webroot's Windows Washer.

Take Care
    rico

13. Arup

Arup Guest

I use CC ever other day including Reg Cleaner part and so far no bad effect onTCP/IP stack yet.

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Been using it for several years without adverse effects. But there's a first time for everything.
    Mrk

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Hmm, I have all options checked, except deleting Index.dat, and I never had any problems.
    I never use backup in CCleaner, neither in RegSeeker, I allways set them to remove everything.

However on Monday, I lost my net connection and when I started DHCP, I could not get an IP via DHCP, but I deleted some files from System32, so I am not sure, if it was due to CCleaner?!

16. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well, try what I did - restore a working image then did a simple cleanup with the latest version of CC - if you lose DHCP after that ...
    Mrk

17. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Been using CC from very early versions and never had an issue with it...your winsock issue sounds very bizarre

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.