A couple quick questions about Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by acr1965, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I did a little searching on here but could not find the answer I was looking for and decided it would be faster to just make a post.

Question 1-

With Prevx I see that the free version will detect malware but removal of malware is not included unless a user upgrades. That is fine, no problem. But the question I have is this- does Prevx allow the malware to excute and just notifies the user that malware is present? Or does Prevx free version prevent the malware from executing?

Other question-

I am finding a real problem with most HIPS programs working on my computer. I have 32 bit Vista Home Premium. My security in Nod32, SAS Pro, PC Tools firewall with enhanced security verification enabled. I also keep SpywareBlaster updated and normally use either Google Chrome, Opera or Firefox browsers. On demand scans include Avira and MBAM. I am also behind a high speed modem with built in firewall.

I have tried Comodo firewall with Hips enabled as well as Threatfire but both caused issues with my computer. There were also issues with Online Armor.

I download a lot from the internet- programs and videos.

Would Prevx free version provide some security that a combo of Nod32, SAS Pro and PC Tools firewall do not provide? I have pretty much given up on the HIPS programs and was thinking something like Prevx may help in that regard. Maybe replace SAS Pro with Prevx free and use SAS Pro on demand only?

Thanks for any info. Especially to question #1.

2. acr1965

Just downloaded and scanned with Prevx. On the Prevx site the product comparison model the different versions of Prevx show the free version as not having real time protection. But I see in the Prevx GUI that there is a green checkmark beside - "Realtime Infection Monitoring". Are these two different types of monitoring? What exactly is "Realtime Infection Monitoring"? And, as stated above, does it allow malware to execute?

thanks and sorry for the confusion

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    To answer it anyway, Answer #1 is yes - Prevx will tell you where the malware is on your system but won't remove/block it in the free version.

Prevx works significantly differently from the other programs you're using as it uses intelligence gathered from all of the other copies of Prevx to determine programs automatically. At a technical level it has some similarities with a HIPS product but to the end user it is vastly different.

I think Prevx will indeed have a benefit on top of what you're already using and you don't need to remove your existing programs as Prevx is compatible with all major security products (so feel free to use all of them alongside Prevx).

I hope that helps :) Let me know if you have any other questions!

4. acr1965

Ok thanks for the response. I guess I am confused although your response helped. So am I correct that Prevx free version will alert in realtime about malware detection (as opposed to on-demand scan only)? But removal/blocking is for the upgraded products of Prevx?

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That's correct - the alert in realtime is subtle but the realtime scanning is in place in the free version so that users can be assured that the free version will perform/have the same system impact as the full registered version to know it will work before they buy it.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

acr1965, if you've had problems with the others, try the free version for a couple of weeks.

Personally I think your setup is fine, but if you're wanting a similar level of protection as ThreatFire gives, I'd go with just Nod and prevx.

Keep using google chrome, probably don't need spyware blaster if you're using an on-demand scan with SAS.

Not too sure how PC Tools firewall is going these days, but enhanced security verification did cause problems for some users. I liked the program, but that's where some conflicts are most likely coming from.

You might find a firewall such as Vista firewall control will be what you need, as it works with the in-built windows firewall, but allows you to control all outbound/inbound, and apply to programs just once, or apply at all times. Best part by default it is set to 'disable' all connections. So if a new program launches, and you accidentally hit 'enter', you won't be accepting the connection, but instead, blocking it.

Add Norton User Account Control, which has a 'remember' feature the standard UAC doesn't provide, and you'll have a similar level of protection that PC Tools firewall provides.

If you want to know what Joe uses, last time I asked, he only uses prevx and the standard windows firewall. ;) What to do with any additional licences you have? Same thing which applies to me, you could always hold on to these, or use these on family member systems.

Real-time
    Nod32
    Prevx
    Norton UAC
    Vista Firewall Control

On-demand
    SAS
    MBAM

The above setup will be extremely light as well.

7. acr1965

Thanks for the info. I have had not had any issues with PC Tools fw. In fact I always keep coming back to it after trying others- ZA Pro, Comodo, Online Armor. I have Norton's UAC tool which is a fantastic little program. I'll play around with Prevx a few days and if there are no issues will keep it. Also plan to install it on my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.