A consumer's guide to streaming TV devices

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Nice article, however, whenever I read such articles comparing streaming devices, they have one thing in common, they all tend to exclude the good old PC as a streaming device. I have been streaming Amazon Prime, Hulu and others for the last 2 years on my laptop, connected to HD TV through HDMI and so have saved money by not purchasing a dedicated streaming device.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´ve read some good stuff about Amazon Prime, is anyone already using it? I really hope that stuff like this will come to Europe soon. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  4. Raza0007

Amazon Prime and services like this are great because you can watch your favorite shows on-demand on your own time. The selection is great and for about $8 a month the price is excellent too. Keep in mind that with Amazon Prime you get free 2 day shipping within US, if you purchase something from Amazon, so the annual membership pays itself off within months. I know people who have cancelled there cable and satellite TV services and now only have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu plus, i.e $8+$8+8$ = $24 monthly TV bill and a huge selection of movies and TV shows at your disposal.

5. Rasheed187

6. Raza0007

I don't need to. As I said I use my PC for streaming, but of course if you do not have dedicated spare PC to use or you need the convenience of a media player, it is not a bad choice. The only problem with these media players is that the company keeps on releasing a new version of the player every year and then they want you to upgrade.

7. Rasheed187

OK I see. Personally I can´t wait to get my hand on this kinda stuff. Because sadly enough, my provider decided to launch a quite crappy "all you can watch" on demand service, and Netflix is also a joke over here in Holland. My only option at the moment is Videoland Unlimited. The problem is, I still need to buy a TV that can be connected to the net. :)

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/11/04/kpn-launches-videoland-unlimited-s-vod/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.