A Computer Infection that Can Never Be Cured

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

A Computer Infection that Can Never Be Cured.

It seems that to implant this infection, not only would physical access be required to change the BIOS chip, but in order to succeed it would probably be necessary to spoof the original BIOS boot sequence so as not to raise suspicions, and any software that would probe the BIOS contents would spit out the spoofed contents rather than the hidden details.

-- Tom

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

if the hacker needs to have physical access to the machine pull this off then that article is not revealing anything new.

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I think it's a huge consideration for the western world considering the economic and cyber warfare coming from the East, where so many chips and components are fabricated.

It's astonishing that so many critical systems run on essentially untrustworthy hardware.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Perfect, persistent, undetectable hardware backdoor.

Obviously, the only way to deal with such a BIOS infection is to replace the BIOS chip with a verified BIOS untouched by malware intrusion - and, hopefully invulnerable to it.

-- Tom

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If a hacker has physical access to the computer than you should worry more about your security than the computers one. :rolleyes:

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Amen to that.:thumb:

7. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

+1

but it's harder to detect if there is a home invasion than computer invasion
    what do you think

any i think i should plant some mantrap at my door xD

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^Rather than home invasion, I'd sooner think of "hotel room evil maid-like" attacks.
    Businessmen abroad, thinking their notebook is save behind their key card protected hotel room door. link :)
    Non-resealable seal-bags can then be useful. If damaged, consider the content compromised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.