a complex scheduling issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jaxx, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaxx

Jaxx Guest

A few days a go i read a reply to one of my posts that had an ingenius method of scheduling that has now left me confused.

I have a weekly full backup that occurs once a week on tuesday evenings. Then i have a daily incremental scheduled for every night but that one. The idea is that once a week you make a new full back up, and never have more than 6 incrementals along with it.

But here's the thing. Last night it made the first *new* full backup. The incrementals don't relate to it since they incrementally backuped up the *previous* full backup.

If I had to restore my HD today, would it attempt to use the out of date incrementals in addition to the full backup? If yes, is there a way of preventing that while booting from the cd?

If tomorrow I have to restore, how do i make sure it only uses the 1 new incremental and ignores the old one?

Am I just supposed to erase the old incrementals every week after the full backup is created?

Thx :)

2. Jaxx

Jaxx Guest

follow up question

Lets say its Mon at 8am. My system has become unstable and I suspect the problem originated with something i did on sunday. Can i restore from friday's incremental and put ny HD back into the state it was on that day?

The underlying question is, are the incrementals only there to keep the master image up to date, or are they in fact independant restore points?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: follow up question

Hello Jaxx,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image will find necessary image files automatically. You do not need to delete any images or prevent Acronis True Image from using "incorrect" files. Incrementals are not independent. Each one depends on the previous.

In the situation you have described (your computer is unstable on Munday) you will be avle to restore the full back up (i.e. the computer state on Tuesday of the previous week) and all subsequent incrementals (i.e. your computer state on Wednesday through Monday) providing you create the full back up on Tuesday and incrementals on other days as you described.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jaxx,

No need to worry. The old incrementals will be ignored when you restore from the new full backup.

Again, no need to worry. TI is smart enough to ignore the orphaned incrementals.

No need. The 1st new incremental will overwrite the 1st old incremental, the 2nd new incremental will overwrite the 2nd old incremental and so on.

Regards

5. Jaxx

Jaxx Guest

Ok thanks to you both. The only thing I didn't understand was the part of Ilya's reply concerning whether or not when i do a restore if I can choose which incremental to restore from, or if the program insists on restoring the full backup + ALL incrementals in "one fell swoop"?

I'll try and give my axample again in a different way.
    Say i do a full backup on monday, and an incremental on each successive day. On friday i discover a huge problem that I know was created on thursday. If restore the full backup with all the incrementals i would be *recreating* the problrm that was created on thursday. Can I restore the full backup and the mon-wed incrementals but not the thursday incremental?

If the answer is no, then it would seem the value of a full restore is if the current cause of the problem has not been itself backed up - if you backup the cause of the problem then you will restore the problem....

Or could you do a full backup to one folder and specifiy the incrementals to a different folder, so that you could restore the full backup only, then delete the incrementals that you dont want to use, and then restore from the remaining incrementals?

6. Menorcaman

When restoring from an incremental image, you can select the required restore point by time and date. In your example you would merely select Wednesday's restore point and TI will know to restore from the associated full backup plus relevant incrementals.

Regards

7. Jaxx

Jaxx Guest

Thanks for the help :)

8. Menorcaman

You're most welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.