A christmas gift for the women on the forum

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.netlaughter.com/holidays/index.cfm?action=content&id=844

2. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Those are the forum users, right?

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

The ones from oklahoma and texas anyway :D

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:rolleyes: Mamma mia!! :rolleyes: :blink:

5. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:eek:Hey Bigc. What's the deal? I thought we all agreed that we wouldn't put that picture on the web. o_O

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Fancy putting that Piccy up on the Site, you said you'd never tell what we did for a living when not at Wilders, but if you all must know, I'm the good looking one with the father Christmas hat, if you want another clue, find where I hid the Mistletoe.

'Butch', Cochise :cool: :rolleyes:(I wish)

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...so you ladies and gents do have ActiveX enabled as a standard while clicking an unknown link? ;)

regards.

paul

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm glad someone mentioned that... I haven't yet seen whatever it is at that link, or the one in this thread. I decided to enable Flash (figured it might be one of those), than set scripting and ActiveX to prompt, allowed those when I got there... but, still did not see anything but lots of broken image links and similar. The images seem to come from sites in Hpguru's Hosts file (or maybe IE-SpyAd), I didn't figure it all out yet... So, I ended up giving up last night.

Sometimes I loosen my security if I figure what's at a site is mostly harmless and I've got other things set to trap anything that might be troublesome. But usually I stick by my settings and guidelines.

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Should make that a sticky ;)

Would give people the information they need for IE browser safety :)

snowbound

10. beetlejuice

Ditto's. Same as LWM.

11. subratam

subratam Registered Member

man... this was not good :mad: when taking the photo .. it was promised that the photo will be uncovered on nxt yr 1st jan...
    man the photo is precious.. and not to be made available like this freely online atleast some price should be there... afterall the most handsome and sought after persons of world have posed for first and ..(last time as this was what we were not wanting) anyway... we will have meeting..
    would be cost for the photo thereafter
    1. a christmas cake( as nice as we are looking in the picture)
    2. 5 cookies per person's pic
    and last.. and ofcourse most important
    3. free posting of "A christmas gift for the MEN on the forum" ;)

Attached Files:

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

OOOpps,
    Not being fully up on this Computer lark darlings, but I have a sneaking feeling that we've just been told our Security leaves a lot to be desired, so I think I had better go back to the drawing board and re-check the bolts on my 'back door'.

Regards, Cochise, :cool: (Mr. Vulnerable.)

13. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

When I go to that site(activex on prompt, my standard response, do not allow), picture is a noshow. Spyblocker still blocks a style sheet from flowgo.com and Adshield(using the agnis-as blocklist) blocks two webbugs from the same people. By the time the various security systems running here are done this is all that's left.

Attached Files:

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I printed out LWMs' Security Settings and then altered all mine to LWMs.

I found that a lot of things I normally have no problem with didn't work, a small example, just clicking from Ten-
    Forward to say Software and Services etc., no longer worked? And I was being 'Prompted' about everything.
    At the end of the day if I can't trust what's being posted on this board then what?
    So I've gone back to "Default." It seems to have kept me out of trouble all this time and I have enjoyed every minute of it, I'm probably too old now to become sort of paranoid about Clockers, Loggers, Spraggers and Clackers and all the rest of the Doom and Gloom that comes with Total Security.
    I'm quite happy to use my key to the 21st Century without getting the 'Geebies' with regard to some 'Entity' creeping up behind my Firewall. I think life is too short for that and look at all the laughs that are missed because the Computer is ruling the Owner.

I mean, come on Vietnam_Vet mate, surely there's more to life than only being able to see what your OS will let you, whose in charge here.

Love to all, Cochise, :cool: (Flying on a wing and a Prayer)

15. bigc73542

Yoy run your security so tight it is as if you don't want to be able to see some benefits on the web.The link I posted for example I viewed it with no problems I always scan my comp with a2, plus my spyware guard is active and my spyware blaster. Plus scan with my av and I always clear my browser cache and history and I just don't get viruses or trojan ifestations. Maybe I just have more faith in my software and hardware firewall. In the last twenty years the viri I have gotten have all been contacted after a full restore before I had everything updated even then it was not that big a deal getting rid of the malware.I really believe in being security aware but not to the point that it takes away from the reason I am on the internet in the first place which is entertainment and just general browsing. I am glad I never fell into the paronia of security overkill.

16. LowWaterMark

Actually Cochise, I think you missed a part... If you use tight security in the Internet zone, you have to add the sites that require extra features, (like javascript which this forum software uses a lot of), into the Trusted zone in IE. If you have *.wilderssecurity.com in the Trusted zone, and have that zone's security set correctly, everything here would work fine.

But in any case, while using default settings in IE is risky, we aren't talking life or death here. ;) You certainly can continue to run that way and the worst that may happen is the occasional spyware or virus issue, if even that as it all depends upon where you go and what other compensating controls you have in place.

In some ways I agree with you. Life is too short not to enjoy your experiences, which is why I rarely tell people to tighten their browser security or configure things the way I do. Generally, I stick to the basics in my recommendations...

Having a good AV & Firewall and using them correctly puts a person well ahead of 99% of the other people on the Internet.

17. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

from Cochise

Well, I agree with you. I use to be careful in general but if I apply all the security rules and desactivate Activex, there are many good sites that I won't be able to enjoy anymore. My browsing will be "limited", so my pleasure. When I am not sure of a website, I don't go or will be more careful...
    But of course, I don't give any personnal info on a page containing webbugs or fill a form. ANW, I always avoid filling any form on any site.

Uguel

18. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Okay it sounds good...
    But we would have to do that we all the sites we trust, right?
    In my case, it would be a laborious task! :p
    My Bookmark tab is big-busted...

Uguel

19. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have a different perspective.

LWM's settings work well for me.

Since i got whacked by a trojan just but visiting a website, and having some activeX problems in the past( my own carelessness), I don't mind a little inconvienence from time to time.
    I just put websites i know are safe in my trusted zone and if i really want to view something it just takes a few seconds to adjust it so i can.

I also have most of the tools Bigc has, which like him i have faith in too..

I'll take a little inconvience sometimes knowing now my internet travels are safer.

This is what is important to me.

Just my 2 cents guys and gals :D

snowbound

20. LowWaterMark

Yes, it could be a big task. In fact, tightening security in any way is always a matter of trade-offs. Sometimes it takes using a few powerful security tools, which you need to learn and configure properly (which is a cost, i.e. time and effort -edit > "oh and of course sometimes real money to buy those tools, too" ;) ). Sometimes it's settings and configs like I'm describing (the cost being time and manual effort). Sometimes you do lose some functionality.

There are truly a lot of different ways to be secure and each comes with different costs and results. But keep in mind that for all of you that have never had a virus, spyware, or had to reformat because something got through and killed your system, there are also a great many people out there who did lose serious data - who had dialers installed and were not able to convince the phone company to drop the $500 charge on their bill - who had a virus that erased all their data files (images, mp3s, whatever) that they had collected over the past two years.

A lot of this comes down to luck, as well. Two people, each with patched systems running IE in default settings and a simple AV and firewall... one person never loses a file, never gets a virus, never reformats... The other gets hammered. It happens everyday.

So while I don't run around telling people they have to use tight security settings, I'm also careful to point out that many others have had problems and not because they didn't know what they were doing, but because they just happened to go somewhere other than you, and they hit something more damaging.

21. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I couldn't agree more with everything you say Mate, if you don't know about security, nobody does.

But I hide behind my AVG and my Adaware and my Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster and not forgetting my faithful Outpost Firewall....I know....it doesn't sound much but I don't go off having adventures into the Dark Steamy swamps of the Internet where the dreaded 'Lurgies' lie in wait for unsuspecting clunkers like me.

I'm just happy wallowing around in Wilders Wonderful World of Humour, good hearted repartee, and the very best selfless help and information second to non.

Smile kindly on me great God of the Internet for sometimes I know not what I do. Amen.

Byee, Cochise, :cool: :D (A Happy Man)

22. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well, thank you for making things clear.
    I guess I'll have to manage the trade-off between internet security and pleasure. Of course, it doesn't appeal to me to catch a virus, spyware or whatever...let alone having to reformat... :'(
    I'd rather being more careful instead.

I will go ahead and implement your suggestions now :)

Uguel

23. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Well, that was a very interesting reaction and quite unexpected, I might add.

"I mean, come on Vietnam_Vet mate, surely there's more to life than only being able to see what your OS will let you, whose in charge here."

And what makes you think that I would want to see a bunch of men in their underwear, anyway?

"I really believe in being security aware but not to the point that it takes away from the reason I am on the internet in the first place which is entertainment and just general browsing. I am glad I never fell into the paronia of security overkill."

And if you could point out to me where I told you to change anything, I would like to edit that out, but I can't seem to find it. You are insinuating that I am paranoid because I use products that are regularly recommended here as well as other security sites and do not in any way hinder my internet usage in the manner that I use the web personally. Shouldn't we remember that everyone has there own likes and dislikes and whether we agree or disagree with them doesn't necessarily make us right or wrong? It must be pretty convenient applying your own values to everything you encounter and dismissing a different viewpoint as a crippling personal problem.

Now as to the real reason for my post, I was simply responding to posts made by Paul and LowWaterMark. You would be so kind as to remember that LWM made this remark:

"I didn't figure it all out yet... So, I ended up giving up last night"

My post was intended as a kind of continuance to this. It was never intended to discourage anyone from doing what they want to do on the net and I am very sorry if you took it that way. By all means, continue on. But on the other hand, I notice that the critical responses that followed were directed at me. I must say, I never expected to receive criticism on a security board for using security products and indeed am saddened by what I consider statements that border on personal attacks against my beliefs, dismissing them simply because they did not match your own.

I am sorry to intrude on your chosen lifestyles. It won't happen again.

24. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

ROFL :D :D :D

Very good Cochise! You get a cookie for that effort!! :D

Hi Vet!

It's been a while since I've seen you on here! Welcome back!. Don't mind our friend Cochise, his sense of humor is always suspect but his heart is pure! I'm sure no offense was meant and I feel you will come to the same conclusion once you encounter more of his cracked remarks ;)

Regards,

Dan

25. beetlejuice

Yeah girls. Where's our "Present?" :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.