A Change of Heart

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jdjudy, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdjudy

jdjudy Registered Member

Alright,

I have been using KIS 7.0 (Anti-Virus & Firewall active) with SAS on-demand and have been satisfied. Though after getting good deals on Avira and DefenseWall, I am considering doing a empty snapshot reinstall and using Avira, DefenseWall and Windows firewall for protection. I am a little torn on this and would like some insight into what the Wilder's community thinks.

I am looking for a lite setup and right now KIS is only using minimum resources and I don't notice any browser slowdown.

Part of this change is due to a windows update error, that won't allow me to update. So I figure if I am going to reinstall for that, maybe I should change my security.

Thanks...

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I too have KIS 7.0 with SAS on-demand and I think it is a fine setup. I dont see any reason to change, unless you just want to experiment :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Both would be good setups but throwing Defensewall into the equation would give you near on 110% protection.:)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I vote for KIS combined with defensewall cause thats what i use :). I use it on an old 1ghz system with 512mb ram and it runs great, around 25mb of ram total.

5. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello jdjudy,

Please take a look at the following link below.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1048262&postcount=5

Obviously, the lightest and most memory resource friendly security setup will be one sans antivirus(on-demand only). Running without an a/v is a personal choice and should only be pursued if one has the necessary knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

CogitoErgoSum runs DefenseWall and Sana Primary Response (you could also try Norton Antibot).

On our 'weakest' and 'needs to be extremely user friendly' PC we run DefenseWall and A2 Malware. Although A2 is an behavioral IDS and a blacklist based antimalwar application, the idea was the same as CogitoErgoSum.

1. Use a easy to use and very strong Sandbox (DefenseWall is the easiest)
    2. Use a behavioral blocker as a guardian to the main user, for the left overs of the Sandbox HIPS.

On our other PC (a 3,2 Ghz Dual Core) we run Avast + CyberHawk Pro + GeSWall Pro.

CyberHawk is als a behavioral blocker. Current is a lesser CPU hog than previous versions (down side of CB compared to A2). Upside of CyberHawk is that you can enter custom rules. My son has set up additional file protection and Toni Klein's set of basic registry protection (see Regdefend).

A2's messages are very clear and it's intelligent false positive reduction is impressive.

The advantage of Norton Antibot/Sana Primary Response is that it auto cures in an intelligent way.

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.