A Browser for All Windows Customers: it’s about and, not or

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...-windows-customers-it-s-about-and-not-or.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I wonder if we are seeing Mozilla beginning to jump the shark. I have been with Firefox a long time (since it was beta before the first official version was even released) but I don't particularly like some of their most recent decisions. One is stopping support for Firefox 4 after it has not even been out all that long. I don't think it is in their best interest to throw enterprise under the bus and articles like this don't help.

-http://blogs.computerworld.com/18537/microsoft_should_rejoice_firefox_throws_in_the_towel_on_the_enterprise

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How did they get those numbers? Doesn't add up right to me.

The rest of it does kind of make sense.

4. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

As far as Windows goes, does this mean that I can finally upgrade my IE4 on WinME? Woohoo! :)

And as to Mozilla, this is what happens when "free software" depends on funding rather than revenue. For many years, mozilla foundation derived funding from that little box in the upper right corner that google paid them to send searches through much like those tiny classified ads on so many websites - earning pennies per many impressions.

With Chrome, google can keep the money and so it's worth their effort to stop the mozilla funding, obviously leaving mozilla without the resources required to provide the same level of support that Microsoft can with what they charge for each and every copy. As much as Firefox4 blows goats, I can see the end as google conquers the world. FF4 was *so* awful that we stuck with 3.6 in KNOS and 3.6 compared to the stability of the 3.5 chain also makes us bleat. Killing off 3.5 was something awful for us. It's s shame because mozilla didn't fall, they're being pushed. :(

And thus, our OWN plans have been to move directly to a proper webkit/HTML5/WebM browser in our system without the google stuff and to hell with the rest of them.

5. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Yep, it's looking bad for Mozilla. Some of the "evangelista" comments actually resemble those of many hacker groups. The comments seem quite aggressive. They have decided something without giving it a much thought, and now are actively driving customers away.

Is there anything besides Chrome or IE that one could switch in the place of Firefox? Chrome has the same annoying release schelude, IE doesn't have good addon support.

6. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Home users also want stability and predictability, not just corporate. Firefox's quick release is a bunch of bull. I don't see how they think they're serving regular users.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What happened, we get tired of complaining in the Mozilla 5 thread, so we moved it to a new one? As for corporate and their supposed need to stay "stable", well, ask them if the Lulz boat has visited them yet. I don't care how long it takes an IT department or how much begging, pleading or butt kissing it takes to get people to spend money on it, when it's easier to attack my bank, my credit card company, my hospital and so on, than it is my home computer, "Houston, we've had a problem", and they better damn sure fix it.

The excuses have got to stop at some point, and, while on the topic of Mozilla, so does the bit**ing quite honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.