A bit confused, web access vs real time

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by brentana, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brentana

brentana Registered Member

Good morning,
    i'm trying nod32 v4 32bit and need a little help.

As others, i've had some slowdown downloading executable or archive from http, file size is not important. Reading on these pages, someone suggest to disable webaccess module, or else....

Ok, i understand the problem of nested/runtime archives, also archives that are password protected can slow down the system, but i'm a bit confused with the suggested options.

If i disable the webaccess module, i could be exposed to some risks... but anyway when i download something from internet, a file is created on my hard disk, so shoudn't it be catched by the real time protection layer,
    that has the same option about archives or executables of webaccess layer?

And if both modules are enables will the file scanned twice or just once?
    I think the same question could be asked for e-mail attachments...

Many thanks for your readings, and sorry for the bad English, it's not my mother language.

regards, Luciano.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do not disable web protection module. It can block urls known to host malware and also uses more sensitive heuristics when scanning files. If you experience delays when downloading files, a better compromise is setting a limit for object size in the web access protection setup.

3. Cold Canuck

Cold Canuck Registered Member

I'm curious...are you using a recent version of Firefox?

One thing I've found with some of the more recent versions is that download response can often appear to hang, even on fast machines and broadband, when the "Downloads" list is huge.

Press Ctrl + j to bring down the Downloads list...if there are a lot of entries there, remove the majority of them then try to download again.

It can't hurt to try it.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that is indeed the case and it should be caught and blocked by real time scanner. Browsers also check and block malicious urls so as long you are aware of the risks and capabilities of your AV then you can disable the web access module (at least until it is optimized to perform better, apparently Eset has improved the web scanner in latest beta.). Otherwise, if web access module causes no slowdowns leave it on

5. brentana

brentana Registered Member

Thanks for reply.

Ok Marcos, of course i wont disable the module. What i'm just corious to know is the differences in scanning of downloaded files, not web pages. I mean, i can just disable scanning of archives in web protection to avoid slow down, but in this case, the file xxxx.yyy will be scanned by the real.time module? I'm asking this just to avoid duplicate scanning, if any.

Cold Canuck, yes, i'm using firefox, version 3.5, and my download list is always empty, i'm used to clean it after downloads finished. And, the same thing happen in email, if some one send me partocoular attachments, like self-extracting archive, or password protected archive....

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Real-time protection would scan only SFX archives on create with as not sensitive heuristics as web protection would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.