99 %

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Fidelius, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

Hello,

I use nod32 (32 bits) v4.2.40.10 under windows xp home (32 bits) SP3.
    * A strange thing happens with scheduled scanning. The green "bulb" at lower right is turning around and says that Nod is currently scanning. When I open the window "analysis of the computer", it shows 99%. If I ask "bring to foreground" I also see the progression bar at 99% while nod is scanning my second hard drive on which is installed Windos XP X64. The directory on which it stalls is D:\windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Networking....... etc, it is a long file name for this subdirectory.
    * Now it I go to Tools, logs, ondemand scanning, nod says that the scanning is finished.
    So which one to believe ?

Thank you.

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

you might want to check in the windows logs (administrative and application) of whether ekrn.exe has eventually crashed. got a similar problem (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=271602), until I figured that ekrn.exe actually crashed, in which case the taskbar icon will keep on spinning until the machine is rebooted. if ekrn.exe has not crashed the issue might be totally different.

check also the NOD log (on demand computer scan) whether it shows after the reboot Scanning in progress, which means that the on demand scan did not complete earlier (prior reboot)

3. Fidelius

The Microsoft log applications and administrative tools shows no crash from ekrn.exe. So maybe, it did not crash.
    The NOD log (on demand computer scan) Tools->Logs->ondemand scanning showed that the scheduled task was completed before and, of course, after rebooting.

I use Nod32 (32 bits) from my drive C which has Windows XP home (32 bits).
    I have a dual boot winxphome32bits/xpPRO64bits.This happens only when it scans a particular sub directory of win xp 64 with a long file name with dots.
    It stalled on one of these ones, don't remember exactly
    D:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Networking.Dxmrtp_6595b64144ccf1df_5.2.2.3959_x-ww_1F7E7EA0\
    There about 18 sub directories in MS Windows Xp 64 bits and nod32 (win32) seems to have some difficulty scanning them.

4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

sounds good, perhaps just a glitch in the NOD gui then.

I am not for workarounds like that, but you could exclude that particular directory from being scanned. If however you feel like debugging a bit and helping the NOD developers/users you may try to run an on-demand scan of that directory only (same scanner settings) and see whether it happens, if so to repeat for each of the 18 sub directories and from there down to the file where it hangs.

Do you use NOD also on the 64 bit system? If so what happens there with a scan?

5. Fidelius

I use Nod32 32 bits from a 32 bits Operating system. I scan my drives C (win32) and D (winX64) from a 32 bits OS.
    On may 22, it ended normally. Today, on may 24, I had again this problem. I looked at Microsoft windows administrative tools and EGUI.EXE was faulty.

Maybe no other application must run while it scans.

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

it should not be a problem with other applications running, but you never know. I had reported gui crashes too, was told that Eset looking into it, yet this is not a promise that it gets fixed in general or your trouble in particular. maybe one of the Eset guys would be courteous to let you know how to create an automatic dump file and then look into it in order to get your NOD fixed up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.