$9.00 auto update. DON'T DO IT

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by errant1, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. errant1

errant1 Registered Member

JavaCool is offering an autoupdate feature for SpyWareBlaster. They are doing this through a third party site called Plimus.com. This is a "how to increase you internet business" site. After paying my $9.00, I now have to deal with these folks to get the autoupdate feature I paid for. There was no info on JavaCool's part that I would need to deal with third party sales calls. I am not happy!! IN SHORT< DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE AUTOUPDATE FEATURE, :mad:
    :eek: may best descripe how violated I feel.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

If you haven't received your license key for some reason, or have any other trouble with AutoUpdate, please contact us directly using this form: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/supportSB.html .

Plimus.com is our payment processor - they simply handle credit card, etc. payments for us.

When you go to purchase AutoUpdate, you are directed from our site to a page hosted by Plimus, on which you fill out your purchase information and complete the purchase. Afterwards, you are redirected back to our site, and you receive an e-mail from us with your license key. That's it. There is no required sign-up, no auto-billing, etc. (unlike some other security companies). Plimus simply handles securely processing your order, via whatever payment method you select.

Did you actually receive a phone call from Plimus, and if so, what about? Our agreement with them is simple - they only contact our customers if there's a problem with processing the payment (which is all they are supposed to handle).

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. JCitizen

JCitizen Registered Member

I am using auto update and it is flawless; I've used Plimus before and never had a problem. It works swimingly if your're signed in as Administrator, which I almost never do for security reasons.

I get errors from Spyblaster when it tries to update in this environment. Is their any plan to enable updating even though one is logged on as a restricted user?

With all the SEO poisoning going on, Spyblaster may be the only hope for a defense; as I have to use active X to get all my sites to work. I realize this vulnerability may be beyond Javacools capabilility anyway, but what else can a guy do? Timely updates would be a minimum at least, I would think.

4. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

jcitizen, there are two ways that you can update SB (spywareblaster) from within a limited user account.. one is if you adjust the "permissions" for the SB folder, in "c/program files".. the other is to use the "runas" feature, to run SB with "administrator priviledges"..

to adjust "file and folder permissions" in win xp-home, if you are running win xp-home, you have to boot into "safe mode"..

to adjust the SB folder's "permissions", after booting into "safe mode" (if you are running win xp-home), rightclick on the SB folder, in "c/program files", and click "properties".. then click the "permissions" tab, there.. then select the permissions-settings for "users".. then "check" the boxes for "write" and "modify" (checking "write" will usually automatically enable "modify", at the same time)..

i also run as a limited-user.. i learned about how to adjust the "permissions" settings from the BOClean "support" webpage:

Cannot get BOClean to update on "limited user accounts"

This is strictly the result of restrictions which Microsoft has introduced over numerous "service packs" and bandaids for Win2000 and XP. The solution requires granting "modify and "write" permissions to the limited user(s) for the BOC425 BOClean folder. This will ONLY work with BOClean 4.25 or later ... This is how to modify the permissions to allow BOClean to be updated while a limited user is online:

First of all you need to be Logged in as an Administrator in Windows XP, this is CRITICAL! "Limited users" and Microsoft's failure to provide a single "common" point for file writes is the problem here. By MICROSOFT'S choice, "limited users" do NOT have the necessary permissions to update BOClean. THEIR choice, not ours! However, thereIS a way around this!

Use the "search" feature to locate a FOLDER called BOC425. When you search, a number of "BOC425" items will likely appear, only ONE of them is a FOLDER. It SHOULD appear somewhere under an "All users" folder. Once the icon for BOC425's FOLDER appears in the search window, RIGHT click on the FOLDER icon and select "Properties." Can you SEE the security tab?

If you are running Windows XP PRO and cannot see the SECURITY tab, then you need to enable it which is done by going to Tools->Folder Options on most any open window. On the View tab click the Advanced Settings box; towardsthe bottom of the list that appears should be an entry "Use simple file sharing [Recommended]", you need to CLEAR thecheck box. You do NOT want to use simple file sharing. Click OK to close all the windows and follow the instructions above to alter the write permissions. All permissions are inherited from a master template, so doing this for just BOClean does NOT expose you to a security hazard, and in fact gives you FAR greater control over security by being able to make specific folders even more secure than Microsoft's "defaults." As Martha Stewart used tosay, "this is a GOOD thing!" Any newly created items will still inherit the highly limited "limited user" settings regardless of this change.

If you're running XP HOME, Simple File Sharing is enforced by default and cannot be disabled. You must boot the computer into Safe Mode and log in with the Administrator account, in order to see the Security tab.

You need to alter the settings on this tab to change the permissions of the BOC425 folder, which should be self-explanatory (just click the box stating that you wish write permission and modify permission to be enabled for the SPECIFIC user(s) you are interested in).

Check the boxes marked "Write" and "Modify" for the BOC425 folder so that it can be updated by "limited users" or whoever happens to be online when an update is available. "Modify" should also enable "write" but if not, check that box as well. This change will ONLY affect the BOC425 folder wherein the BOC425.XVU update exists. No other folderswill have their security settings changed. Once this is done, then any "limited user" will be able to collect BOClean updates and place the update where it's available to all.

NOTE: If you uninstall BOClean and RE-install BOClean, these special permissions will be wiped out by Windows. You will need to go back and provide these permissions again ANY time that the BOC425 folder is removed for whatever reason, and then restored. "Modify" and "write" permissions will not be available for updates or exclusions untilthose permissions exist in the "new" folder.

http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html#bocdiff

note: while you can update SB from within a limited-user account, SB must be running with administrator priviledges in order to install the activex-killbits.. you can run SB with administrator priviledges from within a limited user account by using the "runas" feature.. to do that, rightclick on the SB shortcut in your "start/all programs" list and select the option for "runas" and then run the program as an administrator, using a user-account that has administrator priviledges.. also note that, in "services", the "secondary login" service must be running/enabled in order to use the "runas" feature..

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  5. JCitizen

JCitizen Registered Member

Thank you Redwolf; I'm very appreciative! Will definitely try this fix!

I will be as happy as a pig in slop; if it works!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.