9.0 3633 EVERY backup is corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by h2ouup2, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h2ouup2

h2ouup2 Registered Member

Just purchased 9.0 build 3633 today 5/31/2006.

I have tried making backups on my secondary HDD a 120 GIG Maxtor in both one big file 15 GIG and split up in different sizes.

I have tried making archives on my USB 2.0 200 GIG Maxtor.

I have tried making archive on my third HDD a 120 GIG WD.

In every case it takes about 11 minutes and says archive completed successfully. However when I validate my backup archive I always get ERROR: E00070020 "The Archive Is Corrupted"

3.0 P4 with 1 GIG RAM 7200 IED HDD

I have checked my RAM and it's okay.

I copied some files from one HDD to the other and checked the file using Hash Calculator 1.1.0 and they both come up identical.

Any suggestions?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Boot up the Rescue CD, make one if you haven't, and do a verify from it.

Make an image with the Rescue CD and then verify it with the rescue CD. If it works, then verify it in Windows, this would indicate a problem making the image on your system under Windows. An image verify is not based on a file by file comparison with the source but rather by calculating a checksum or sums for the image file and comparing them with stored values.

Since you made an archive to an internal and external HD with the same result, I would normally tell you to run memtest86+ overnight to check the memory but you indicate it tested OK. It does seem though that TI really gives the memory and disk sub-systems are real workout so I wouldn't totally rule anything out yet. Is your memory on two or more sticks such that you can try running with one at a time to see if it helps.

I trust you aren't overclocking. You can also try less aggressive memory timings.

3. h2ouup2

Not over clocking. Running Windows XP Pro SP1. I'll try the Memory test again and see what happens.

I even tried making an archive to the C:\ with the same results.
    I tried with AV running, turned off, ZAP on, and off, BOClean on and off....so on same results.

4. h2ouup2

Okay,

If I boot to the Acronis CD and do a backup it works. However it's two to three times as slow.

So any suggestions?

Please anyone/

5. seekforever

Have you verified with the rescue CD one of the "corrupted" backups you made in Windows?

6. h2ouup2

No, I just verified the backup I made from the Rescue CD which was good.

I'll check and see if they are good.

BTW

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP
    Intel 850E
    1024 Samsung Rambus RDRAM
    Intel 3.06 P4

7. h2ouup2

Even from the boot CD the backups are corrupted. The only good backup is the one I made from the boot CD.

8. seekforever

It seems then that the problem lies with backups created in Windows.

Try verifying within Windows the good one you made with the CD.

Right now it would seem that the problem may be caused by something running in Windows or a hardware problem. You've taken some steps to eliminate these possibilities but the problem persists.

You have created on internal and external HDs with the same bad result. Also the checksum test indicated the disks are handling the files correctly and if TI has a problem it usually is in the Linux environment not Windows. The checksum test also gives the memory a good workout as well and it performed as it should. Unfortunately, there is no way to know which memory locations the checksum test used compared to what TI uses.

If the Windows verify of the good CD created image fails I'm going to say that there is likely a memory problem.

Have you run memtest86+ or other diagnostic overnight?

I see you have RAMBUS memory which I think has to be used in pairs. Do you have enough individual sticks to run with half the memory at a time?

Have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer for any unusual entries in the logs, particularly the system log?

9. h2ouup2

Well the image is corrupted when checked within Windows, but good when checked outside windows.

I ran the memory test overnight and got no errors. Now I just don't know what next.

10. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

I have noticed that since the new "image format" (yes it could be my imagination) that ATI is more sensitive to fragmented destination drives. Some machines will simply refuse to create a good image for days in a row - until I defrag the destination drive.

11. seekforever

Nothing to lose by trying it. Even though it failed on both an internal and an external drive and the checksums were fine after copying from the USB drive to an internal drive, there is also nothing to lose by running chkdsk X: /r substitute the drive letter of the partition for X. Check both the source and destination partitions as a minimum.

12. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

Wasn't meaning to say your advice was not good. I haven't been on for a while, read the first message, scanned the replies for the word "defrag" - finding none, I posted my recent experience.

For the most part, when I do have time to read fully, I find your advice sounds "solid". :thumb:

13. seekforever

No problem, in fact I hadn't interpreted your reply as a negative anyway. Resolving a lot of these problems from a distance relying on descriptions of the problems tends to be a process of elimination and might as well eliminate fragmentation as a potential cause - easy to do.

14. h2ouup2

Well I don't know how long it should take chkdsk but it seems to lock up at 93%

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Just wait.

16. wardell1

wardell1 Registered Member

Hello h20uup2- If your scandisk stopped at 93%, run a hdd diagnostic such as SMART or Powermax(Maxtor) to determine if you have a bad sector. Your int hd might have lost magnetics. I had the same problem about 5 months ago. There is a way to fix this problem with powermax but it will destroy all data. I would be leary about saving the corrupted data unless you have a good method of proving that it is still good. Good luck.

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello h2ouup2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try to mount the image archive that you created under Windows by means of "Mount Image" tool of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home? Is it possible to start recovery process in Windows? For example to restore some files/folders from the image archive that verifyies as corrupted.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

18. h2ouup2

I can mount the image and move files. Example:

I needed to replace my Firefox. I mounted the image and copied the folder over no problems and all works fine.

I can make good backups with the boot CD just not from Windows. It says good but the verify always fails.

19. kenho

kenho Registered Member

I think you need to get XP SP2... One of the changes made in SP2 was better handeling of USB drive issues. Under SP1 average sized files were fine, but when I started moving large video files around, I always got errors.

Your backup archives are verl large like video files.

SP2 has code to deal with issues that in my reading have to do with USB chip set interactions.

All I know now is my external USB drives work much better than they did before SP2.

20. Acronis Support

Hello h2ouup2,

It looks like some software prevents Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from functionning properly in Windows. Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  21. StevenLyall

StevenLyall Registered Member

I get exactly teh same problem. And the error message has so little data, that you can't identify a file at fault.

Steven

22. StevenLyall

StevenLyall Registered Member

I have XP2 and I have exactly teh same problem.

Steven

23. JC2006

JC2006 Registered Member

Same problem here. I started with Acronis True Image 6.0. Everything was fine until True Image 9.0 Home. Same problem that other current users are experiencing.

Went back to True Image 8.0 (which has it's own peculiarities, like telling you that your flash image is complete while that image (graphic) is still showing 99% done.

I am losing faith with the entire product line as an experienced user.

I said "buh bye" to Symantec a long time ago.

And now, Acronis really needs to address this latest problem.

Also, not having a technical support that you can reach by phone is totally unacceptable. Is Acronis a one-man band? It at least sounds that way.

Not a professional image (pun intended) they should want to establish.

24. Acronis Support

Hello JC2006,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please provide us with the following information:

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Where do you store backups?

- Do backups verify as corrupted both when the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when it is operating in Linux based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using the 'Full' version of Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (so-called 'F11 feature')?

- Does the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home create corrupt backups both from under Windows and when it is operating in Acronis Rescue Environment?

- Try saving backups to any other location(s), e.g. other internal, external or network drive(s). Then verify these images both when the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when it is operating in Acronis Rescue Environment. Inform us about the result;

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied.

P.S. Please also make sure that your computer is not overclocked and the memory timing settings in your computer BIOS are not too "aggressive" as it might cause this sort of problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

25. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.