8076 does not install over 8039 (fixed 8072)?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ingber, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ingber

ingber Registered Member

Acronis Echo Workstation 8076 was released to fix bugs in 8072 which did not permit upgrading over previous builds, as stated on http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/kb/?aid=476 ,
    "The latest update of an Acronis product can be installed over the existing version of the same product."

The 8076 Change Log for Echo states:
    Acronis True Image Echo Workstation Upgrade
    2008-03-13 Build #8076:
    * Fixed the issues with installing the new build over the
    2008-03-17 Build #8076:
    * Fixed the issues with installing the new build over the previous builds.

(It's unclear here whether the 03-13 and 03-17 versions are the same?)

Acronis 8076 seemed to install OK over 8039 (the version released just before 8072), but when creating a rescue disk, although a window pops up that the creation of the CD is OK, the Acronis Logs report serious errors.

Tech support gave me the long list of items to perform to do a full uninstall of Acronis and then a new install of 8076. However, I then did the same rescue CD installation on another machine with 8076 having been installed as on the first machine. I got the same exact errors. Tech support now reports that

> According to our experts, the problem lies in the CD kernel files, that have not been updated correctly.
    >
    > Our experts suggest that the problem is updating the software. If in the second machine you had updated and not freshly installed the software, you might experience the same problems.

I am posting this for two reasons:

(1) has anyone else had this problem? If so, please report this to tech support so they can address this.

(2) I find i hard to believe that Acronis will tell everyone who has installed 8076 over a previous build (in accordance with their statements) to uninstall according to the directions below. They should know how many users are affected, so that they will work to correct all such previous errors in a new version that will install properly over all 8076 versions, no matter of 8076 was installed as an upgrade or a full install.

Lester

This is their installation procedure:

Please use the following instructions to fully uninstall the software:

1. Remove Acronis Secure Zone

2. Remove Windows Installer configuration

- Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install it and run it.

- Select the Acronis product that needs to be unregistered and hit Remove.

3. Remove Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer (see Removing Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer)

- Run Device Manager and delete Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer

- Run regedit and delete the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AcronisTimounterMonitor
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tifsfilter

- Delete timounter string from:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

4. Remove Acronis SnapAPI drivers

- Delete snapman key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

- Delete snapman string (only snapman string, do not touch other items) from:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

5. Open Windows Task Manager and stop the TrueImageMonitor.exe process

6. Run regedit and delete the following registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tib
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tis
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tibfile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile

7. Delete TrueImageMonitor.exe value from:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Delete \Program Files\Acronis folder
    Delete \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis folder
    Delete \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis folder
    Delete \WINDOWS\system32\autoprnt.exe if it exists
    Delete shortcuts from Desktop and Start menu

8. Reboot the computer.

If you can't see some of these values, you can safely skip them.

Then, try reinstalling the new build and create a new bootable CD.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think that's asking a bit much from a non-tech savvy user, isn't it.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's unclear why Acronis can't spend the small amount of time required to "batch" up those mechanical steps into a small script or executable to do scrub clean up. Why Acronis persists in issuing manual steps to be performed just seems, well, an unnecessary hardship on users, especially, as DwnNdrty points out, the less technical folks. It's jsut, you know, about 5-10 years behind the times of best practices in software manufacturing and vending.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ingber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that in such cases (when something prevents the correct installation of all components), a repair installation of the respective components (in this case Acronis Media Builder component) usually fixes the problem.

To shieber and everyone interested: I would like to inform you that an utility for complete removal of installed Acronis Products is nearly finished. Currently it's undergoing testing and quality analisys, and it will most likely be available in the near future. Unfortunately, the exact date isn't decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. rs966

rs966 Registered Member

A small comment:

I have that kind of Problem when updating my Production environment from 9.1 to Echo. Hard and spend a lot of time. Uninstalling, clean reinstall of Echo.

In case of upgrading only a build to fix a few Probs ( maybe important for that one ) there should be no uninstall and reinstall or a clean install - minimum an build-update should work without that pain.

Its not possible to play arround in a production Area - as less as possible downtime is required, thats why we buy a proffessional Solution !

Just my 2 Cents

Roland

6. ingber

ingber Registered Member

Marat:

As I stated in my first posting in this thread, support finally said that "the problem lies in the CD kernel files" which were not properly update in 8076. How would a "repair installation" help here? Do you know for sure that this would "work"?

I assume that the next version should take care of this problem. I could not get a definitive statement from support, in reply to my query if I could simply use my old 8032 rescue disk while continuing to use 8072 nightly backups. That is, they just restated that "the problem lies in the CD kernel files", which I assume means that all other functions in 8072 are working properly?

Like other posters, I do not have time to keep uninstalling and installing software, especially updates which I think it is reasonable to expect should update smoothly over current versions. I probably could use rsync under Cygwin on my PC/XP, but I prefer a "professional" solution too -- as stated by another poster -- which takes care of updates consistent with updates of the OS, etc. I do not think the "fix" is to only generate a tool for complete removal of Acronis, though a clean uninstall should be part of any commercial package. I think the proper "fix" should be to have the next version properly install over 8076.

Clearly, we like your product or we would not be spending time trying to get this fixed. Note that a lot of us probably left Ghost in the dust because they did not address their bugs very well.

Thanks.

Lester

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ingber,

Please be aware that CD kernel files are stored on the hard drive where Acronis True Image is installed. They are read from there when you create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. The problem you encountered was caused by something preventing the installation process from properly updating the existing CD kernel files on the hard drive. When that happens, in most cases repair installation fixes that.

It's recommended to use the same build of all components of Acronis True Image (including Acronis Bootable Rescue Media).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. ingber

ingber Registered Member

Marat:

Thanks for the explanation.

However, this problem surfaced on both of our independent machines? Of course coincidences always can occur, but I would like to know if other users also are having this problem. It just seems to me that this is more likely an Acronis installation problem, rather than a problem with our machines. If I have some extra time I'll try your fix.

Lester

9. ingber

ingber Registered Member

OK. I took down our two machines, disabled all virus protections, did a Repair using the 8076 .exe (which completed successfully), rebooted (as prompted), and clicked on Create Bootable Rescue Media on both machines. I get exactly the same BAD results on both machines. These BAD results were confirmed by tech support as due to not having the CD kernel files properly updated -- which I now certainly conclude is an Acronis installation problem. They exampled reports of all my Acronis logs and my System report.

The problem on both machine shows up in the Event Log after the creation of the CD (remember the popup window saying it was successful?): The following error code is repeated twice:

Error Code Message
    43 Missing expression after ".".

Information given is Error code 5, "File or folder 'ramdisk.dat' not found."

We're running XP Pro/SP 2 on IBM Thinkpad a31p's.

Lester

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

This over the top install of a new build works for some but not all. Many of us always do an un-install before installing a new build. This would appear to be your solution--for now. Any new build is a complete self-contained install and does not depend upon prior installs--just have your serial number handy which will be required.

Un-install and then re-install the latest build.:)

11. ingber

ingber Registered Member

After the Repair debacle:

On both machines:
    I uninstalled Acronis: I used the Control Panel -> Add/Remove and ran that (and rebooted). Then I ran jv16 and ccleaner registry tools -- twice each (which got rid of a lot Acronis references), made sure no Acronis was under Program Files, and even removed the Logs under All Users. I then rebooted, did a fresh install of 8076 (and rebooted). I then created a rescue CD -- with the SAME BAD results.

Acronis tech support claims the original problem was that CD kernel files were not updated properly. Acronis gave me list of items to do an uninstall. I cannot recommend Acronis to anyone if that is the "solution". Instead I went a few steps further than any reasonable user should have to go: Use Add/Remove, jv16 and ccleaner.

It seems to me the problem is in the Acronis software installation -- not in any way I installed or uninstalled it. I think Acronis just won't admit that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.