8 Hours To Backup 35gb!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Harmonrt, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonrt

Harmonrt Registered Member

I am running Paragon Backup 9.0 Build 7267 (13.12.0:cool: Personal Edition with Windows 7. This is the first time I have tried this program, I usually use Norton Ghost. I backed up a hard drive last night which has approximately 60gb of data. It took 8 hours to do the backup which resulted in a backup file of 35gb. When I did the backup, it instructed me that to finish, it must reboot the computer. The reboot process resulted in a blinking cursor which sat there for six hours. At the six hour mark or thereabouts, the computer finished the reboot process. Just before Windows 7 opened, the program began the backup process which took another 2 hours. I happen to like the program; but why would it take so long to backup?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

This depends if you're running a sector or file level backup. I know DB 9 has some speed issues when it comes to file-level backup, but the sector backup will generally taking 1-2min per GB, so about 1 hour for 35GB.

Drive Backup 10, coming soon, will increase the file level backup drastically from what my test shows.

3. Kron

Kron Registered Member

Hi, a question for Paragon_Tommy:

I have used DB 9 Pro on XP SP2 and yes, backup speed is somewhat slow, as you note, Tommy. About 500mb per min over usb. This is about 1/2 of Acronis TI 8.0 speed today which I'm moving away from because of their later versions being bloated and having issues, per the support forums. You indicate DB 10 will be better with file level backup, how about sector level?

And what about HDM 10? I hear that will incorporate better speeds (same modules) as well? Any idea of release dates on DB 10 and HDM 10? I read somewhere late October, which is almost here now. :shifty:

Ron

4. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

I backed up two partitions last night (WIn7 64 RTM) Paragon DBU 9.0 Pro

Each partition has 80-100Gb of stuff. Each partition is 375 Gb of total size). Backed up each via cyclic backup wizard scheduled tasks.

One scheduled at 0100AM and the other at 0400AM.

Each finished in about 30 minutes......

AMD Phenom quad core / 8Gb RAM....

o_O

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

In DB 10, the file level backup will be on par with the sector level and we'll see a slight increase with sector level backup. At the same time, we'll maintain lower cpu usage than Acronis TI.

HDM 10 will have all the benefits of DB 10 of course. As for the release date, unfortunately, we won't make it available for October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.