720P Player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mortl, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortl

mortl Registered Member

Does anyone know a good player that will work with 720P MKV Videos? I tryed Vlc and Km player but the videos seem to freeze and then pick up again in several parts of the show. ... obviously this is very frustrating so im looking for something steady and will work. SUGGESTIONS o_O

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Not sure about this one as I have not tried it yet, but downloaded.
    http://www.digiarty.com/

Also, the company may have some ill repute reputation- forum spamming, etc- just a head's up.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Jet Audio Media Player, it runs almost every single format out there.
    It runs MKV :D :thumb:

The license is a life time license, once you buy you get free updates which includes version changes. (Although the website doesn't states that, IT IS like a life time license) :thumb:

4. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

1. It may not be the player that's causing your problems. You will need a reasonably good PC to play HQ MKV files smoothly. Some things to check:

2. Remove any additional third party codec packs that may have been installed. If using a player such as VLC, mplayer kmplayer/potplayer, MPC-HC, etc. you don't need them.

3. Ensure your video card drivers are up to date. Install ATI Avivo or if NVidia CUDA

4. Check to see if your video card supports Hardware acceleration, if so you can use DXVA (if the player supports this). This will allow the GPU to take over the processing.

5. Are you watching movies on your PC or are you feeding the output to a TV?

If your computer is under powered install CoreAVC it will help. http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc

If you want to try an alternative player, I whole heartedly recommend MPC-HC, which, in my opinion is a whole lot better than VLC. The support forum is here: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

I use MPC-HC with ffdshow, Reclock, AC3Filter, madflac, madVR and Haali Media Splitter. Here's a simple tutorial on how to get these running together, for a fantastic audio-visual experience. (you don't need to use any of these components, MPC-HC will play just about anything without any additional components/codecs, I just like to tweak :) )

http://www.homecinema-hd.com/mpc-hc-introduction_en.html

Of course, you can also pay for a player, if you wish...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Vlc and Km players both play 720p MKV videos fine on my computers. However, MPC-HC player is more resource friendly or sometimes work better for some reason.

6. burebista

burebista Registered Member

PotPlayer. Plug and play. dxva acceleration out-the-box, it's perfect for my needs.

Attached Files:

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Both VLC and KMplayer can play 720p videos. But you need a fast processor and gpu to play them. What are your hardware specs?

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I bought CoreAVC for this very reason. A lifetime licence at a reasonable price.

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

KMPlayer is excellent for 1080P/720P .MKV!

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

K-lite Mega Codec pack comes with media player classic. Media player Classic itself is very light on resources, and the codec pack that comes with it will allow you to play all video formats I've been using it for 15 years, and I have not found anything better for playing video files. It supports all video formats except maybe playing Blue-ray's directly from a disk. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I used to have occasional problems with sound and video not syncing as well as high cpu usage.
    Since switching to MPC-HC i have had no problems at all.
    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

SPlayer is what i suggest, there was a thread about it here before and i can def say the quality of videos played on SPlayer vs VLC and KMP (which i was using before it) is def better

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I just tried playing a large 1080p mkv-file on various players on my laptop (specs in signature). the only player that was able to play it without problems was Splash PRO (my only non-free player). others I tried were PotPlayer, MPC-HC, VLC, GOM, Zoom (v5.01) players. PotPlayer and MPC-HC were almost able to play it, but after a few minutes the video began to lag the audio - mouths stopped matching words.

the file was a 12 GB movie with avc1, DTS, SRT/UTF-8 codecs and 1920 x 1080 pixel dimensions. i had it on an external hard drive (usb 2.0 connection) and fwiw i had some other programs running in the background (firefox, explorer, etc. - and prevx decided to do a scan at some point while this was going on).

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

u didnt try kmplayer ?

15. firzen771

i suggest u try SPlayer as well and see how it does.

16. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

no, i removed kmplayer and replaced it with potplayer because (according to one of the links in this thread), YoungHuee Kang was the original coder for kmplayer and potplayer is his new baby, and apparently kmplayer has developed some problems recently, so potplayer seemed the natural switch or upgrade.

disclaimer: i just read one thread about potplayer vs. kmplayer on doom9 forum so i'm sure there's more to the story but i've always found doom9 to be a good source of info on multimedia stuff so i decided to go with the switch.

17. Raza0007

I was doing some checking and I found out that GPU acceleration is not enabled by default in VLC player. This might be the reason for its poor performance while decoding 720p and above. GPU acceleration is still experimental in the latest VLC player version.

18. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Do you have a link for SPlayer?

I do have something called SMPlayer among my program files, but I had already forgotten about it because I don't use it very much (it came with some codec package or other multimedia update...)

19. firzen771

here http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

20. Raza0007

This might be a good player but I was amused by their claim of using a technology called EyeCare which supposedly takes care of your eyes while you are watching something for a long time. See under "low consumption".

Is it some sort of a joke?

21. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

I just have to agree with firzen771.
    Splayer is fantastic. _ Try it.
    /DM

22. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

thanks. i installed the program to try it, but it didn't play the large 1080p mkv-file particularly well; lags or tiny freezes in video followed by small jumps to catch up => jumpy and unsmooth play. i'm sure it would have played fine on a better computer.

also, fwiw, i log all my installs and this program added references to OpenCandy to my registry that I dislike because OpenCandy is or at least used to be some sort of crapware add-on...

i also tried SMPlayer, which worked a bit better, but the video was still bumpy.

23. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

It's a very strange thing happening with my laptop (Acer 4745), I have KMPlayer, VLC and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

If I try to watch 1080p/720p it goes perfect, but when I try to watch the film for my TV (40 "LED) the film is slow, already formatted, does anyone know what might be?

I'm thinking of reformatting and installing only the KMPlayer, without any other codec, can anyone tell me if this would be the best option?

24. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

25. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

In hindsight, I thought it was unfair to test the video using the old (free) version of Zoom Player (v5.01), so I updated to Zoom Player FLEX v7 (trial version of the Business edition). That was also able to play the large 1080p mkv movie without problems on my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.