70 years young first thread please help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by w.bishop, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Is it? I dunno .... I'm sticking with the last build of ver 9. At least the bugs in it don't bite me. :D

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I'm with you Ralphie - better the devil you know and all that.

F.

3. w.bishop

w.bishop Registered Member

I do not have the serial number of true image.
    I did enter the number on my faulty hard disk.
    The true image boot up disk I have found let me load the full back up to this temporary disk.
    tommorow I will go to the computer fair near crystal palace and purchase a new hard disk and completly load everything again.
    Can you please sugest what type of hard disk I should purchase my motherboard can use sata but I have never used them.

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I got a little lost at post #5 where W. Bishop says

Hi to you THE WEAZ.
    The hard drive packed in completly and the computer would not start at all.

I don't know how he would get into windows to do anything at this time.
    All is not lost if he has the True Image software on disk he can still make a "rescue disk" on someone else's computer.
    Maybe someone could help him with a step by step way to do that.

5. w.bishop

Hi dbKnox if you read post 1 I think you will understand more.

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I’m with dbknox; I have no idea what “The hard drive packed in completly and the computer would not start at all” means.

7. Ralphie

It means that the hard drive finally bit the dust. :oops:

8. w.bishop

It means exactly what I said.
    When the Western Digital HD would not allow the computer to start anymore, I fitted an old Maxtor HD the computer started working again after I loaded XP.
    I then tried to load the 5 DVD`s I had made with Acronis true image 9 before the WD HD had stoped working completely.

9. w.bishop

Hi Ralphie you got it in one.

10. TheWeaz

“It means exactly what I said.”

Oh, I see. So when you say
    “The hard drive packed in completly and the computer would not start at all”,
    I’m supposed to understand that what you meant was
    “When the Western Digital HD would not allow the computer to start anymore, I fitted an old Maxtor HD the computer started working again after I loaded XP. I then tried to load the 5 DVD`s I had made with Acronis true image 9 before the WD HD had stoped working completely.”
    Silly me.
    Goodbye and Good Luck.

11. Ralphie

In your post #4 you said you had build 9 - that should be version 9, right? I hope so. While you're waiting for the new WD drive, install TI on the Maxtor, afterwards, run the program and look for a menu item that says "create rescue media" or similar. You will need one blank cd. After you make it, restart and boot with it to make sure it works.

Next I would copy the contents of the backup images that are on the 5 dvds on to the Maxtor.

When you get the new WD, connect it as your normal C drive and connect the Maxtor either as a slave on the primary or on the secondary. If the secondary has no other device, the Maxtor can be either master or slave.

Then boot with the Rescue CD and choose "Recover". Follow the prompts and be sure to choose the correct source drive (the Maxtor) and the correct destination drive (the new WD). Now this part I'm not sure will work since I've not tried it. Since the backups were taken off dvds I don't know if TI would notice that they are now on a hard drive. But it is worth trying and if it works it's a whole helluva lot faster than restoring from dvds.

BTW, there is no need to format the new drive.

12. w.bishop

Hi TheWeaz I am sorry I did not explain enough.
    The Western Digital Hard Drive will take a while comming through the post for me to receive it, so I tried an old Maxtor Hard Drive whilst I was waiting but I could not get the 5 DVD`s with true image on to load to the Maxtor Hard Drive. I made these DVD`S before the Western Digital Hard Drive bit the dust.

13. Ralphie

What method did you use to try to copy the images to the Maxtor? Windows Explorer should be all you need. Make sure though, that you have enough space.

14. w.bishop

Hi again Ralphie thank you for the information.
    I am contemplating fitting a diferent Hard Drive in my computer tomorrow, I wondered if I would be better with a Sata drive.
    What do you think?

15. w.bishop

Hi again Ralphie in reply to #38 I found a true image boot up disk I put this in my dvd drive and it loaded up ok, I then put the first true image volume 9 full back up disk one and it loaded ok. But the Maxter hard drive is almost full. So tomorrow I intend purchasing another hard drive and fully loading everything.

16. Ralphie

Well, the Sata IS faster. Just make sure when you boot with the Rescue cd that it "sees" the sata drive.

17. w.bishop

Thanks again Ralphie, I guess I will have to set it in the bios.
    How is the weather in Florida?

18. Ralphie

Presently the weather is what we all live for in Florida after another unbearably humid Summer. I won't rub it in :D :D but I saw in the live ManU/Blackburn game earlier that it was raining cats and dogs in England wherever the game was played.
    I don't have any Sata drives so can't help there. I'm still running a 1Ghz desktop with 256mb ram and WinXP Sp2. So you can guess how old it is. :cool: My laptop is in better shape - 1.6 Ghz and 512mb ram with XP Sp2 also.
    Also I never use the Secure Zone nor backup to optical media - my masochistic streak has mellowed considerably with age.:D :D

19. TheWeaz

If you are going to restore the image of a PC with IDE drives to a PC with SATA drives, be prepared for Windows to complain and possibly not boot. When Windows is first installed, it looks at the hardware and loads the necessary drivers. Restore that image to a PC with different hardware and the drivers will not be the ones needed.
    A Repair Install will usually fix that, but you must have the Windows Install disk and may have to re-register Windows.

20. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

If you have or buy another ATA hard disk it will make life easier than going SATA at this time. However if you only have a SATA drive to move to then you may run into more problems but we will help you as TheWeaz says.

Regards,
    Phasechange

21. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

It always rains in Manchester. It is probably the greenest part of the UK.
    Rain, rain rain rain rain. Manchester.

F.

22. w.bishop

Hi All
    I bought a 180gig Maxtor IDE Hard Drive.
    I loaded Win XP Pro.
    I then attempted to load True Image, I have all 5 Full Back Up Disks showing up on my HD but I cannot open them.
    More help required please.

23. Ralphie

Did you try what I outlined in #36?

24. w.bishop

Hi Ralphie,
    I cannot install TI because I do not have serial number.
    The serial number is on the broken HD.

25. TheWeaz

“I then attempted to load True Image”

What does that mean? You tried to install the TI program and it failed? Is TI installed? If it’s not, then no, you can’t open a .tib file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.