64-bit incompatibility

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ergolargo, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ergolargo

ergolargo Registered Member

Hi folks

I have a 32-bit Windows system that gets backed up with Paragon Backup Suite 10. I'm trying today to anticipate future compatibility issues, working on the basis that any failure of the 32-bit system hardware might need to replaced using 64-bit hardware in the future. Presumably I am right in assuming that a 32-bit image would not be able to be restored to new 64-bit hardware? If so, I wondered if there is any functionality in the P2P Adjust OS process that would allow an existing image of a 32-bit system to be restored to a 64-bit system? If not, what is the recommended approach? Is there any other conversion process that can automate this issue to any degree. I realise this might be a bit of an open-ended question, but it is something that has been troubling me for a while, so I was wondering if anybody had any useful experience in addressing this sort of problem?

Thanks if you can advise!

Regards

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Many, many people are running 32-bit Windows and apps on 64-bit capable machines.

Have a look at:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/32-bit-and-64-bit-explained.htm

Of course, when you restore your existing 32-bit image you are still going to have driver issues since the new hardware won't be the same but Paragon is supposed to handle this. Personally, I always look at a new PC as a chance to do a clean install and not bother to reinstall all the junk I don't use any more. If I find later that I need something I didn't reinstall I load it then.

If you keep the 32-bit Windows then you are stuck at the <4GB memory restriction it it matters. You will also miss out on improved performance if you have true 64-bit apps.

It also is a good refresher on setting up the OS and apps but certainly it can take some time.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

How many true 64-bit third party apps are out there? My 64-bit program folder is mostly MS stuff.

4. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I have 10 non-MS applications in my "Program Files# folder. Yes, you are right, wptski, I have far more subfolders in "Program Files (x86)".

But what did seekforever say? "Many, many people are running 32-bit Windows and apps on 64-bit capable machines." Nothing wrong with that statement.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

With the P2P adjust there is no way to restore a 32 bit image to a 64 bit system and have it run as a 64 bit OS. it would simply be a 32 bit OS running on a 64 bit compatible system. If you are looking to go to a 64 bit system you will simply need to begin from scratch, there is no way within Paragon to convert a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I didn't question that part just the true 64-bit app part. I only have 2 or 3 non-apps. I have more 32-bit apps that won't run under W7 than those few 64-bit apps. I use XP Mode those and the reason I got W7 Pro 64-bit.

Just wondering, are there far more 64-bit games than productivity apps??

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I also wonder about the availability of 64-bit apps so the full benefit of a 64-bit environment can be realized.

As I said in an earlier thread, for the time 64-bit Windows has been available there still seems to be a lot of problems with it concerning apps and drivers which I find disappointing. When I said this I was speaking in general and certainly not about any Paragon issues.

It's almost as if 64-bit it isn't being taken seriously and if vendors weren't trying to peddle PCs with over 4GB of RAM it wouldn't even be in the picture.

Just my opinion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.