64-bit a PITA?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

1- I am offered a very good deal on a computer but it comes with the following OS...

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit

2- From what I have read here & elsewhere, lots of software doesn't work with 64Bit.

3- If software is Vista32Bit-ready, will it run FOR SURE on Vista64Bit?

2. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Lots of programs are still 32-bit. Hence such programs can only make use of max 2 GByte RAM per process even on a x64 OS. But my own observation is that most 32-bit applications run smoothly on Vista x64 due to WoW64.

Something to peruse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64

3. Minimax2000

One thing I forgot to say. Kernel patching in not allowed on Vista x64 thus most 32-bit anti-malware programs that are kernel-based will not run there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patchguard

4. bellgamin

And THAT's the deal-killer for me. From the article that you linked to...

Is there a Vista 32bit OS available?

5. Minimax2000

Sure, multiple editions.:D

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

I personally would go for the 64bit and persevere in the unlikely case that certain software application's will not run. If of course it's critical that your usual software you use "must" operate successfully then 32bit is the way to go

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    ive been running windows vista 64bit for roughly 6months and havent had an issue.
    for one program i had to wait a few weeks for a 64bit version but i did get it.

why dont you type a list of the programs you use and i can help you find out if they work on 64bit vista or not?

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I agree that you should go for 64-bit. If only my laptop will take more than 2GB of RAM, I would definitely switch to Vista 64-bit.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Everything and anything that I have used works on my XPx64, Vistax64 and of course Ubuntu x64 where everything is x64. Windows with WoW is quite friendly to old x32 programs as well. Patchguard is also the one responsible for negating the need of any anti malware HIPS etc, WinDefender x64 works well as a HIPS. Also turn on full DEP, LUA and SuRun with a good AV and defender and you are all way more safer in x64 Windows than x32 Windows.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Can it run MS Office 2007, Quickbooks 2009, and Paperport 11.

11. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

It runs office 2007.

12. bellgamin

I appreciate your comments, & those made by other posters as well.

My HIPS & my AV have been tested on 64bit by others, & they do not function properly. Also I still run a few 16bit apps (believe it or not), & the Compatibility mode won't handle those at all.

My present computer (almost 5 years old) still runs great. Ergo, my best option might be to defer purchase of a new computer until Win7 becomes available and -- at that time -- lay to rest those apps that won't run. (Sigh)

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to be honest soon enough you will need to use a 64bit operating system anyway. 32bit operating systems only support 4gb of ram.
    what av and hips do you use?

14. Webby

Webby Registered Member

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why? That will only be true if the software I am using get's bloated beyond where it is. Down the road, yes I can see it. Also right now the deal breaker is Sandboxie. It can't run on X64 thanks to MS, so I say no thanks for now.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well you are using microsoft office 2007 and that next office will definatly be more bloated.
    plus i dont get the big deal with sandboxie.
    i havent ever been infected on xp using an administrator account.
    on vista i just use a security suite and standard limited user account in vista 64bit.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been using Vista x64 for over half a year now with no problems or issues, everything I have tried works fine, including Office 2007, most AVs and so on. I don't feel any need for HIPS. Nor any sandboxing apps. I'd say x64 is the future, so sooner or later we'll all have to embrace it.

18. Minimax2000

If Microsoft office was to consume more than 2 GB RAM I would switch to Linux altogether.:argh:

64-bit and thus the possibility to allocate more than 2 GB/process makes only sense for heavy CGI renderings or digital video and image processing.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LOL i didnt mean one program consuming more than 2gb.
    I am already dual booting Linux (fedora) atm
    Since ram is so cheap soon enough most computers will come with 4gb as standard.
    Windows 7 really should of been 64bit only. The only reason windows 7 comes in 32bit and 64bit is because of the complaints about vista,microsoft cant break compatibility again. Windows 8 or whatever its called will be 64bit only. The problem is that as long as 32bit windows is used more than 64bit,companies will generally make their programs compatible with 32bit windows.

I don't know why companies use kernal patching anyway. As pointed out it is likely to unstabilize the system. if sandboxie wants to stay in business they will need to somehow support 64bit windows. Other applications have worked around the problem

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  20. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The APIs that Microsoft introduced for 64-bit versions of Windows are not enough to cover everything that kernel patching can provide. Also, while some security applications are compatible with 64-bit Windows, their functionality is reduced (particularly with rootkit detection). I am not sure about the technical underpinnings of Sandboxie, but I am fairly sure that an API is not yet available for what Sandboxie needs to do. Hence, the incompatibility with 64-bit Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.