6 zones in IE. can i delete one?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, WU stopped working and i was getting this message - Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer. If you believe you have received this message in error, please check with your system administrator.

i think it might have been from Secure It or DropMyRights, but i'm not too sure. i have changed the value at -
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate
    from 1 to 0

then i used a Doug Knox's xp_winupd_netpolicy.vbs to correct the network policies. WU now works, but i still have 6 zones in IE's internet options :eek:

do you have the highlighted value in the registry screenshot, i think i should delete it, is that OK? thanks :)

http://usera.imagecave.com/iceni/Capture27-01-2005-07.33.44.jpg

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/2876/blowiebyestunt9kt.gif

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Don't delete zone "0" - that's the "My Computer" zone. It's "description" may be "Your computer" but zone 0 is not the "Your Computer" zone showing in the icon above, or highlighted in the registry entry. You should be looking at the DisplayName field when identifying which zone is which. In any case, zone 5 has to be the extra zone since all system have zones 0 through 4.

0 = My Computer
    1 = Local Intranet
    2 = Trusted sites
    3 = Internet
    4 = Restricted sites

Can you delete zone 5? Yes, it's optional as it doesn't normally exist on Windows system unless people deliberately create it (or run a program that creates it for them). But, as with all things like this... make backups, set a restore point, etc. before doing anything in the registry.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, LWM :) i'll backup then delete zone 5. it's a good thing i asked, i was just about to delete the bit i had highlighted :p thanks :cool:

4. LowWaterMark

You can actually add as many zones as you want into IE, well within reason I'm sure. ;) There are a few articles on various forums and websites about it and it's pretty easy. Now you may ask, why would you want to?

Well, for people who really want granular control, whereby they can have very different IE security settings for many different types of sites, adding extra security zones (beyond the default ones that each have specific purposes already) gives them more control. You see, each additional zone you add can have: 1. different security settings and options, and 2. its own list of sites that will be access using those specific settings and options.

So, say you want something tighter in security than the Trusted zone, but not as tight as the Internet zone, well just create an extra zone, set its security exactly as you want and then add whatever sites you want to that zone.

If you have the Internet zone set so that it blocked ActiveX, active scripting and Java; and you have all of those enabled in the Trusted zone, but you really want a few sites to just be allowed to use Active Scipting, but not ActiveX or Java... Well, you create a zone and name it say "Scripting Only". Set the security settings for it, add the site to its list, and there you go. Sites in that zone can run just active scripting, none of the other things, and its done without having to go the "prompt me always" route.

5. LowWaterMark

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just did a system restore to get rid of some programs i was trying out. but, now when i try and do the xp_winupd_netpolicy.vbs fix i get a popup like the screenshot. what can i do?

Attached Files:

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Maybe a stupid question but I still don't understand what the "Your Computer zone" (not my computer zone) is all about. o_O I also have it on my system, but you can't even configure it, so what is the purpose?

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you mean if you go Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level you can't change the options? i can in mine. if not, what part can't be configured with your "Your Computer Zone"?

here's a page about the zones -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.mspx

9. Rasheed187

I can't configure a thing, everything is greyed out. But does anyone know what is the difference between "Your Computer Zone" and "My Computer Zone"?

And how do I remove certain Internet Zones? For example if I want to remove the Intranet Zone what do I have to delete in the registry?

I already tried to delete it in the \Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones section, but that didn't work. o_O

10. Rasheed187

Well for example the Your Computer Zone is useless to me and I would like to remove that, how do I do that? And I also don't use trusted and restricted zones btw.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Rasheed. firstly, go start>run then type regedit. then backup the registry - highlight My Computer and go file>export and save it somewhere safe.

then navigate to -
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Zones\
    it will look like the screenshot from post 1. there should be numbers 1-5 under where it says zones. click on 5, so it is highlighted, then right-click and pick delete. that should do it :)

12. Rasheed187

Thanks for the reply, but I already did that and nothing happened. :( I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones and deleted the zone but it keeps displaying in Internet Options.

And what about my other question, the one about Your computer zone vs My computerzone? Still have no idea what is the difference between the two. o_O

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While you can delete any one of the 5 default Zones without any problems....IE will simply rebuild that Zone when ever the program is re-started.

As for the Your Computer Zone....that is an indication that a sixth zone was added....since there are only five zones by default.

Zone 0 - "My Computer"
    Zone 1 - "Local Intranet"
    Zone 2 - "Trusted Sites"
    Zone 3 - "Internet"
    Zone 4 - "Restricted Sites"

Prior to IE 6....we were able to add our own Zone and give it a unique name for the DisplayName\String value....that would show up in IE as that display name. However....with IE 6....the name will not show as the name we have used....it will show up as Your Computer as the displayed name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.