50 places using Linux that you may not know.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Very nice read. My country, India, seems to be paying lip-service to Open Source. Some, just some, corporates are using OpenOffice.org on a subset of their computers to reduce licensing costs payable to you-know-who.

3. linuxforall

You are correct Vasa, India is run by greed like many other parts of the world unfortunately but this news here might make you happy.

http://opensource.org/node/528

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for the fast response!

I don't know whether this is the appropriate place, but the reality (as I see it) is that much more is claimed than actually happens in terms of the spread of Open Source, or to put it bluntly, non-MS.

Most Government of India-owned Internet sites still carry the "Works best with IE 6". Yes! That's correct. IE6.

I can give you one example of the government-owned telecom provider, BSNL. If you visit this site you'll see it at the bottom of the page. And mind you, it is not an old site. It is only two or three months old! The intriguing angle is that SAP has provided the "technology". And certain aspects, (after logging in), work differently or not at all with non-IE browsers.

And all this is despite the Government having "guidelines" on how web-sites should be constructed... accessibility (for the differently-abled), cross-platform, compliance with W3 standards, etc.

Just in case someone is wondering why I'm ranting about web-sites... The "Works best with Internet Explorer" is a strong arm-twister not to switch to a system (Linux) that will not (easily) run Internet Explorer if such sites are part of your daily (or monthly) activities.

5. linuxforall

Yep I know what you mean but I have traveled to China where Open Source is very much the word, also in neighboring Pakistan, I have had first hand feedback about Open Source being the norm at univs.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

100% agree that China will be the game-changer. Linux is a card they can play at short notice and the ripples maybe felt by the MNCs working there (and, hopefully, reflected elsewhere).

I recollect reading that they're even making their own CPU and that Richard Stallman is using a laptop that has this chip and GNU Linux :D

7. linuxforall

Great news Vasa, this is why I feel China will be the leader and India will as usual lament about being behind and make good old excuses, having taught at univs there, I can say with conention that the students there were simply brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.