5 Steps to make an Eset - Antibanner(Ads blocker)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by deva99, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deva99

deva99 Registered Member

I had read in past that eset antivirus/smart security needs to have antibanner like kaspersky and others.
    I tried to make one myself ,and as far as i have seen ,its working out pretty well for me.:rolleyes:
    If you want you can make one your self.

******************Steps**********************************
    1](I am using eset 4.2) Under eset settings->Web Access protection->Address management there are 3 options in combo box ,select option -"List of blocked addresses/masks"

2]Now most of pop up's ads start with ad.* or ads.* so u can add these masks to blocked addresses .or u can list urls you want to block.

3]U can get all the blacklist urls for ads from net at urlblacklist.com or searching on google .

4] I have got the list of ads urls from urlblacklist.com as a text file. i am uploading it with this post. just download the file.

5] the downloaded text file can be loaded in eset by eset settings->Web Access protection->Address management ,Click on Add button(at right hand cornor of button where "v" appears) . it will ask you to browse the text file. Just browse this attached text file and then click on Apply ,Ok and its done.
    Now your eset will filter all the ads for you.
    I know there are Ads block plus and other plugins available for Mozilla/Chrome.
    But this option is independent of the browser you use.

Feel free to comment and suggetions are most welcome thank you !! :)

Attached Files:

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

It is good that this topic has been raised; thanks deva99.
    I'm using this feature for some time on my NOD32 AV 4.2.71.2 on XP.
    Don't forget the use of the masks * and ? .
    Whether the feature is available on NOD32 version 5, I don't know (or forgot if already posted).

PS:
    Ohh, where are the good old times of the Block/Restricted sites lists by Eric Howes...

3. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Eric went on to work for GFI

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yes, I know.

5. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

You may use *.wildcard entries per this ESET solution. I personally have yet to experiment with wildcards, it would be interesting to know what your findings are.

6. LnSrocks

LnSrocks Registered Member

is there a way to use "?" as a question mark instead of a wildcard?

if I do abc. com/php?* it would be the same as abc. com/php*

7. LnSrocks

LnSrocks Registered Member

best way to block ads with wildcards is

*.url .com/*

this way you can cover the sub domain and the stuff after it.

*. <- prevents wildcard blocking websites that are unintended eg. "*def. com" would block "abcdef. com"
    /* <- gets all the stuff behind and "/" prevents combining ". com" into links like ".comp" or w/e

8. deva99

deva99 Registered Member

Yes the solution work with any eset product, any version ...from version 3.0 onwards.

9. deva99

deva99 Registered Member

Yah thats one of the way to use it....Infact i have used it the adurl.txt file. But thanks for suggetions :)

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you want to change the http traffic without a brower plugin, you might want to take a look at Pyrenean's DNSKong (DNS-level) or eDexter (hosts file-level) programs. The developer also has some pointers for filtering via BIND, Microsoft DNS and TreeWalk.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.