5 biometric alternatives to the password

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Interesting how almost anything could be used for identification. For me there are two open questions: 1. how accurate those methods are and 2. how can one change identification if it gets stolen or compromised?

hqsec

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

If it were limited to accounts in which I can't help but identify myself, like finances or many forms of shopping, I'd be okay with it. In theory, it could enhance security.

But my concern is that if it becomes widespread, every other service, including ones for which I DON'T want to be identified, will use it. Sure, some sites like private bittorrent trackers and "underground" email services will be sympathetic to the need for privacy and they won't use it. But Facebook, Twitter, Google? They'll be all over it, and this could make it even easier to track you across multiple sites.

4. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

Interesting point about FB, Twitt, Goog, etc... I am noticing more and more sites allowing you to create an instant account via FB, and Twitt. Social networking sites are actually becoming attached to your identity so maybe biometric data will need to come along with these eventually.
    I agree that biometric sign in is a problem because you can't change your biometrics and, eventually, identity thieves will figure out how to get your biometric signatures. How would you fix your credit history then?

Your honor, it wasn't me that bought that stuff on the internet!
    Well sir, the prosecuting attorney has shown that it was your fingerprint, voice print and retina scan that was used to complete the transaction. Guilty!

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.