403 Forbidden: nginx

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gorblimey, Jun 27, 2017.

1. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

What's with nginx? For several years now I've been hit with this annoyng message from quite a few ordinary-looking sites, many of which I can visit with no problems.

Most of the time I can "fix" it simply by changing my UA string (It's a breeze in K-Meleon!) and retrying. But have a think here. If a change of UA string gets me past a 403 notice, how insecure and badly designed is nginx?

FWIW, the string I use is "Browser sniffing is dead. Move on. The nature of Son Gokū is... Irrepressible!!!!" Occasionally it doesn't work, which is seriously annoying since there is then no option but to retreat and come back later.

How cheap and nasty is nginx?

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I'm sorry, gorblimey, this isn't going to be helpful,, maybe vaguely commiserating, but I'm currently having problems with this and it involves just one site to where I can't access my paid-for stuff. :'(. This happened directly after HitmanPro Alert blocked the site's uninstaller, since then: Verboten! Since I have no experience with this, I've been chasing after red herrings. My ISP claims it's a "server issue on their end."

edge realore forbidden 2.PNG

3. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

From the very tiny amount of info I've stumbled across, it's possible the problem can be traced back to bad permission handling. However, it's unclear whether that is PEBKAC or just incompetent software.

The question arises, why don't we see this on IIS or Apache systems--just to take the most biggest? I mean we all know that both of those have significant weaknesses.

For your problem @plat1098, I'd play with your UA string to start (if you haven't already). Then an email to the site management. Unfortunately sometimes the promise of simple brutality is the only thing that works.

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

This was a secure and trusted site. Actually, this was a new one for me so I took cues from your original post and followed this guide:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/ho...user-agent-without-installing-any-extensions/
    Didn't work in Internet Explorer. Installed Firefox just for this to try about:config and got :
    Fiefox.PNG

Installed KMeleon after VoodooShield objected and got:
    KMeleon error.PNG
    Not surprising. I'll let it go for now; I'd sent an email to the site weeks ago with no response. Surely didn't mean to steer away from your issue, just supporting your original contention that HTTP403 can be a stubborn and dare I say, creepy, issue. :cautious:

Edited to add: Just now tried Random Agent Spoofer in Firefox. Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.