4 Questions regarding Malware Programs

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by razz, Mar 21, 2017.

1. razz

razz Registered Member

Hi all, nice to have joined this forum.

I have the latest paid version of Kaspersky Total Security and I also have the latest free version of WinPatrol. I've had Kaspersky installed for just over one year and during that time periodically ran on demand scans with Malwarebytes free. I've never had a malware problem, thank goodness.

Currently I am running 3 malware programs in order to test them (basically see what I think of them). All three are free versions that are still in the trial period. After the trial period I do not plan on upgrading to the paid versions. All 5 programs co-exist very well with no problems.

The 3 malware programs I am running are: Malwarebytes, Reason Core Security and MalwareFox.

I have 4 questions::

(1) In your opinion, which is the best and the worst of these three?

(2) Considering I have Kaspersky Total Security, would it be of any benefit to upgrade to the paid version of one or more of them?

(3) Is SpyBot Search and Destroy still an active company and if so, is it worth considering?

(4) Are there any other malware programs that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort, it will be greatly appreciated.

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

1. MalwareBytes is most likely the best. The other 2 havent been mentioned here that I have ever seen and never involved in any real world testing.

2. Again the only one I would pay for is MBAM

3. I havent seen anything relevant from Spybot in some time.

4. MBAM is pretty much the top dog in anti malware and removal.

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

(4) Zemana

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

MalwareFox is a rebrand of Zemana. It's exactly the same execept for the name.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It still receives definition updates and it can find some PUPs, but scaninng times are extremely slow. It's a very average product these days and as a result you will rarely see it recommended or even mentioned on security forums any more. Malwarebytes and Zemana (MalwareFox), are much better due to better dection rates and faster scan times.

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Razz- Zemana is much stronger than MB against certain types of malware infections, worms and hollowed processes being the most common.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I use Windows own Windows Defender and have for years with no problems. I have no problems recommending it. Regardless your primary anti-malware solution of choice, you should have a secondary scanner just to make sure your primary, or you the user and always weakest link did not let something slip by. And I like Malwarebytes for that. Like whitedragon, Malwarebytes is the only one I would pay for.

8. razz

razz Registered Member

9. razz

razz Registered Member

Thank you daman1 for recommending Zemana (which turns out to be MalwareFox, as per info from roger_m).

10. razz

razz Registered Member

Thank you roger_m for your response. Thanks for more info regarding Spybot. I'll totally forget about Spybot!

11. razz

razz Registered Member

cruelsister, you've convinced me to keep MalwareFox (free version) for periodic on-demand scans. Thanks.

12. razz

razz Registered Member

Bill_Bright, I agree with you 100%. Like i stated above, I will be using the free version of Malwarebytes for periodic on-demand scans. Thanks for your input.

13. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Correct yea I forgot it was rebranded the name didn't click, Anyway if you already have Kaspersky Total Security your ahead of the game that's a very good software to have just pick a couple on demand scanners and I think you'll be fine.

14. razz

razz Registered Member

I do believe you are right, that I should be fine. I've also just installed uBlock Origin (as recommended to me on another forum) in my Chrome browser and for quite some time I have used the MVPS Host file.

15. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

:thumb:

16. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

HitmanPro is another program that gets recommended on here.
    I have HMP,Mbam and zemana all paid up.

17. Bill_Bright

But they still don't have a free version, right? Only a 30 day trial period?

18. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Correct, no free that I know of.

19. Bill_Bright

That's too bad. I think if they really wanted to position themselves as an alternative to other products, especially Malwarebytes, they should offer a free version.

20. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

True but you do get the full version of hitmapro.alert with a licence which has more features than the free version.

21. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I agree

22. Bill_Bright

I would hope.
    What free version?

Are you saying the 30 day trial version is crippled? If so, that's even worse.

23. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

HitmanPro is a malware removal scanner; it does not protect real-time. You may run scans for free forever. If you choose to activate the removal function, you may remove anything it finds for 30 days for free. After that, if you want HitmanPro to remove anything you must pay.

HitmanPro.Alert, a real-time signature-less antimalware app, is a different product.

24. Bill_Bright

I guess that's where I have a problem. That tactic is too similar to those commonly used by rogue and malicious so-called security programs. It's an intimidation and scare tactic. "We found malware on your computer. Pay up if you want it removed." :(

It is just like those new LifeLock commercials on TV that make fun of credit monitoring programs.

LifeLock Dentist Commercial.
    LifeLock Security Guard Commercial.

25. boredog

boredog Registered Member

What is wrong with Voodooshield? Not sure if it still holds but Dan will a free two year license to any Wilders member. One of the best programs I have ever used and believe me like most of you, I have used them all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.