4.2.58.3 entries in msconfig/Startup

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gaslad, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

After downloading/installing 4.2.58.3 over top of my previous version of NOD32, I notice the following checked entries:

egui
    Command:
    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ESET\ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS\egui.exe"/hide/waitservice (in HKLM)

egui
    Command:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ESET\ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS\egui.exe (in HKCU)

ekrn
    Command:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ESET\ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS\ekrn.exe (in HKCU)

NOD32 is working well, but I don't recall having 2 egui entries before, and wonder if one should be eliminated. (I can do this with WinPatrol's startup manager).

Using XP PRO/SP3 here.

2. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I found the following article in the knowlegebase which mentions the first entry you show:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN532

This seems to be a fix for 64-bit Windows users to get the Eset icon to display correctly in the systray. It does not seem to me that you'd need this entry unless you were running a 64-bit version of Windows XP. You could try completely un-installing NOD32 and then install it again.

Edit: Oops! I checked again and found that it was entered in my registry just where the Knowledgebase article says it would be. I'm running Windows XP SP3 and it's the 32-bit version. In addition to this, I had completely un-installed NOD32 before I installed the update. So, the basic installation of NOD32 puts this key into the registry. Apparently, you need to manually add this key if it is missing and your NOD32 icon does not display.

Therefore. Just leave it alone. Don't un-install NOD32. Nevermind.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Well thanks, but I was really only wanting to know what others were seeing in msconfig startup.

Anyways, after a reboot, I got a NOD32 popup alert: "Could not communicate with the kernel", whereafter the icon for NOD32 would disappear from my notification tray. My task manager indicated that ekrn.exe was still running, and I could still open NOD32 via Start>Programs.

Figuring it might be related to having 2 egui's in my startup, I disabled one entry (Using WinPatrol) and the problem has not recurred.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I'll throw this out for but I doubt it is relevant to your issue:

The ESET icon has disappeared. How do I bring it back?

Is it possible that WinPatrol is falsely identifying duplicate start-up entires, I suspect it may.

I run Win XP Pro SP3 and do not see those entries in MSConfig save:
    If you suspect a corrupt or questionable installation, export and save your current settings, download and install and fresh build from the download centre

5. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Merci beaucoup, siljaline, for the info and links.

You provided the confirmation I was looking for. After disabling the second egui entry in WinPatrol, I am left with the exact same single entry in msconfig you cite, running from HKLM. All is well.

I suspect this was not due to any corrupt installations, but rather to my incorrect use of WinPatrol in adding/removing startup entries.

6. siljaline

Bienvenue, gaslad, happy to read all is well.
    Being a former Winpatrol user, I suspected something was amiss.

Glad to help :thumb:

7. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Thanks, too, from me. I had found that article about the icon disappearing.. I also have just the one entry in msconfig startup, though there are other entries for egui in the registry. I have never used Winpatrol, and did not see what the OP saw.

8. siljaline

You're most welcome, rcdailey :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.