4.0.314 prevents installing Vista SP2 RC1

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Magritte, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magritte

Magritte Registered Member

I tried installing SP2 RC1 on my Vista machine running NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.314. At some point this always results in a BSOD (STO: 0xD1 in eamon.sys).

I was only able to get my system back and running by forcing into safe mode which then caused the SP2 install to cancel and revert all changes. Otherwise the system seems to be stable.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks.

2. Brama

Brama Registered Member

I can install Vista32 SP2 RC but the NOD32 antivirus 4.0.314.0 icon is red and real time system protection is non-functional.

I tried to reinstall but I had to manually remove the program in safe mode as the normal uninstall was not able to delete some registry keys and folders.

I think an updated version is needed to be compatible with Vista SP2.

3. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Margritte, the solution is to disable AV/HIPs/Firewalls and any other security software prior to installing such a major update as a Service Pack.

Many installers will warn a user to disable AV programs etc. and advise that otherwise the program will not install correctly. Microsoft is a bit remiss in this respect.

Nonetheless I have always disabled system protection software before installing anything as pervasive and important as a major system update.

So I would 1. Disconnect from Internet/LAN 2. Disable NOD 3. Run SP2 Installer 4. Reboot 5. Re-enable NOD

If as Brama notes there are then problems with NOD, one can be more confident that the issue may lie with NOD rather than due to a failed or incomplete system update.

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

The issue was with Security updates after Sp2 for me.. Disabling UAC again after the Security updates fixed the issue... I am doing some tinkering to find the issue.

5. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I can confirm that after the re-enabling of UAC my NOD32 goes back to a red disabled state.. When I disable UAC it goes back to operational..

This only happened after installing security updates after SP2.

investigating UAC settings in gpedit.msc to see if there is any actual settings I can set to leave uac enabled yet get eset to work

6. Magritte

Magritte Registered Member

Just to update, I did as you suggested: disabling NOD 4 (had already upgraded NOD32). I wasn't sure if just temporarily disabling it from the tray icon would be sufficient given that multiple reboots would be required to install SP2 so I also went into the settings and disabled the option to automatically load realtime protection.

I was then able to install SP2 RC1 without any problems, after which I was able to re-enable all the realtime protection settings in NOD32 v4 and everything has been working fine. I haven't experienced any of the other issues mentioned, even though my UAC settings remain at default.

Thanks.

P.S. I've also installed NOD32 4 on both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 beta and don't seem to be having any problems there either. I set all my Windows 7 beta installations to the highest level of UAC protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.