3rd-party firewall that can filter svchost per service?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CGuard, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Hi all,

Is there any 3rd-party firewall that can filter svchost per service, besides Net-Peeker?

I'm sure that Comodo, Outpost, Online Armor, Privatefirewall, Look 'n' Stop, ZoneAlarm do not filter svchost per service -at least, the versions i've tried.

TIA

2. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

this should ask permission from Microsoft at first :D

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Sophos Endpoint - commercial product. Also the WIN 7 firewall add ons; Windows Firewall Notifier(WFN) and Windows Firewall Control(WFC). Of the later two, I would go with WFC since the developer actively supports and upgrades the product. He also is an active Wilders participant.

I also strongly suspect many of the retail IS suites firewalls also handle svchost.exe in WIN 7 applying Windows Service Hardening(WSH) processing although the end user has no control over same via service specification at the firewall rule level.

A word of warning, WIN 7 uses many services in outbound processing that are not formally defined in the WIN 7 firewall rules for example. Hence, Microsoft's stance on allowing all oubound processing. "Tightening" of svchost.exe service rules could break some critical processing such as certficate updates/revocations and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.