3rd-party firewall that can filter svchost per service?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CGuard, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Hi all,

Is there any 3rd-party firewall that can filter svchost per service, besides Net-Peeker?

I'm sure that Comodo, Outpost, Online Armor, Privatefirewall, Look 'n' Stop, ZoneAlarm do not filter svchost per service -at least, the versions i've tried.

TIA

2. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

this should ask permission from Microsoft at first :D

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Sophos Endpoint - commercial product. Also the WIN 7 firewall add ons; Windows Firewall Notifier(WFN) and Windows Firewall Control(WFC). Of the later two, I would go with WFC since the developer actively supports and upgrades the product. He also is an active Wilders participant.

I also strongly suspect many of the retail IS suites firewalls also handle svchost.exe in WIN 7 applying Windows Service Hardening(WSH) processing although the end user has no control over same via service specification at the firewall rule level.

A word of warning, WIN 7 uses many services in outbound processing that are not formally defined in the WIN 7 firewall rules for example. Hence, Microsoft's stance on allowing all oubound processing. "Tightening" of svchost.exe service rules could break some critical processing such as certficate updates/revocations and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.