3677 update problem - hardware drivers

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scottyja, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottyja

scottyja Registered Member

I'm trying to update to the 3677 build, and when it gets to the very end of the update progress, I get a blue screen (of death) saying there was a windows error with lots of text that I can't make out and the computer rebooted. When I get back into windows, there are two desktop icons, two entries in the start menu, etc... Also, the Windows 'New Hardware Wizard' pops up and says it can't find the drivers for the 'Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer'.

I uninstalled everything, rebooted, and then installed with the downloaded .exe update file, and that installed ok, but after rebooting, I still get the hardware manager unable to find the 'Archive Explorer' drivers. When I go into the device manager, there are two instances of this under 'Acronis Devices', and one is failed.

Any thoughts? Should I just stick the version that's on the CD? I don't see why the CD install would work fine, but the update has so many problems.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your download update file may be bad. Get this checksum calculator and calculate the MD5 checksum of your downloaded file.

http://www.irnis.net/soft/xcsc/

The value for my build 3677 file is:
    D004885351AF4656BE56A36A5054DCE2

(I haven't installed this file but I do not experience downloading problems so it should be OK. If anybody wants to confirm my value it would be appreciated.)

3. scottyja

Thanks for the link to the checksum util. I get the same value for the md5 sum. Any other thoughts? I'm thinking of trying a previous update first, to see if that has better luck than 3677.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I guess you could try to find some of the posts that give info on how to remove all TI entries from the registry after it is uninstalled and see if that does anything for you. I don't know if it matters whether or not they are for the current build.

5. scottyja

I tried downloading again just to be sure. Turns out the only way to avoid the blue screen is to uninstall, go back, do a search for all acronis files/directories and delete those (including stopping any services and such needed to delete the files). If I don't, I get the blue screen failing the update and the corrupted program (with two logins and such).

If I do go through the hassle of deleting *everything* (except the registry, haven't gone that far), I get the hardware manager coming when it reboots and when I try to boot the program, I get an error saying the serial number is invalid and I need to reinstall. Either way, after updating, I can't get to anything.

If anyone has seen anything similar, I'd like to know. Otherwise, I'll stay on the base version shipped with the CD.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello scottyja,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Probably Acronis True Image 9.0 Home was unable to add your serial number to the registry record. Possible this issue is caused by third-party software or your system settings and this issue is preventing Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from starting. Please do the following in order to solve this issue:

1) Uninstall Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs)

2) Open registry editor (Start->Run->regedit) find the following branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\

and set permissions for these branches as "Full Control" for SYSTEM account and your account.

3) Install Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once again.

This workaround will allows Acronis True Image 9.0 to install your serial number correctly and you will be able to use this product.

If that does not help please perform the procedure described in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134351this[/url] post. And after that install build 3677 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once again.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Aleksandr,

Does it matter if Scottyja uses regedt32 versus regedit in XP?

I know some permissions stuff can only be done on one and not the other.

Colin

8. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

In XP there is no regedt32. As this MS KB article says, "In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe."

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is what I thought - I can't recall now if it was a knowledge based article that cautioned in using regedit to make one set of alterations before continuing in regedt32 - in fact up until then I thought regedt32 was just that the 32 bit version. It might not of been Microsoft though - it might have been when I was doing some trickery making myself NTUSER.

Colin

10. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

So all the time that I've been running regedt32.exe
    I've just been running regedit in Windows XP Home Ed. - wow! Learn something everyday. So when I run regedit from the Run box, I'd be getting the same thing in XP as I would if I launch C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe. Ok. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.