Excellent CCleaner alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

So I have been researching a few other junk file cleaning utilities since CCleaner seems to break my icons on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and I came across SlimCleaner.

I like it very much.

It has successfully cleaned my temp files, and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download files which basically are the temp downloaded Windows updates that are no longer needed after they are installed.

Additionally, it offers a few other tools that are actually worth while; like a startup file system checker that has info on every startup file on your computer with ratings from other users of the community telling you what they are and if they are needed or not.

It also has a registry cleaner built in but I cannot comment whether or not it is safe or not to use at this stage.

I just discovered called Proxy that is a Microsoft service that sends usage reports about your computer using habits.

I dont know how come it is not so popular on the next but it has passed all the tests that I've thrown at it.

Other utilities I have tried and have failed are:

Wise Disk Cleaner:

1- Fails to clean the temp files of my Windows user account properly, some of the temp files are left there untouched.

2- Everytime I clean with Wise Disk Cleaner, my browser downloaded programs such as a game I play on MSN Spades called Spades gets deleted and I have to re-download/re-install it upon visiting the site as if it was the first time I am launching my browser

R-Cleaner:

1- Fails to clean the temp files of my Windows user account properly, some of the temp files are left there untouched.

2- Does not clean the temp downloaded Windows update located in: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    =======================================================
    Download SlimCleaner

Attached Files:

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Somewhat old hat and believe that you will find that this has been covered exhaustively elsewhere in this forum.

having said that...SlimCleaner is very good.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

oh ok, never heard about it until today as I googled "CCleaner Alternatives" and decided to test it

I am very impressed and it's surprising that it packs all of these features and community ratings for startup apps/serivces yet it is FREE :)

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Agreed...but it does and does it very well IMHO. I also use it to carry out the updating of some non essential apps.

If you have not found it yet then go 'Software' from the left hand menu and then look under the 'Updates' tab. Not sure why it only shows some of the apps I have installed but if it were to expand what it covers it would be a great little feature.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

BleachBit is very effective. Thorough and fast.
    Version 0.9.4 was just released 5 days ago.
    I run it either with or instead of CCleaner.
    On their home page, click on the features tab and check out the number of cleaners and advanced cleaners they offer.
    You can actually import cleaning rules from winapp2.ini files that give Windows users 780+ additional cleaners. :thumb:

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have used it and its okay it deleted something it should not have imo. its not bad though.

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I find slim cleaner = bleachbit in its effectiveness to clean up junk. Ccleaner is much less effective and therefore I rarely use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.