30+ hours to scan 3 TB drive via USB 2 with Rescue Kit 11 boot CD?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Xenon2000, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenon2000

Xenon2000 Registered Member

I am trying to recover data or the partition from a 3 TB sata drive. I have it plugged in via a USB 2.0 dock. It's currently scanning for deleted partitions and has been for over the last 30 hours. The HDD activity light still blinks. I am using the free Rescue Kit 11 boot CD. The progress bar has hardly anything left. But I counted the pixels and it hasn't moved for at least the last 5 hours. But that doesn't mean it moved 5 hours ago. I just didn't pay attention that closely until 5 hours ago.

It says 57 mins left. But 5 hours ago it said 1 hr 40 mins. So obviously I don't expect it to actually finish in 57 mins.

So I am wondering. Should it really take this long to just the scan/search portion? And should I be worried that the progress bar hasn't moved 1 pixel in the last 5 hours or more? I know it's not frozen as the times do keep changing.

2. Xenon2000

LOL. Go figure. It's been over 5 hours since the progress bar moved. Maybe longer.

But it just moved! So I guess I just have to wait longer. Guess I should have plugged it in via SATA instead of the USB 2 adapter. Looks like this might be done after 40-50 hours.

3. Xenon2000

Doh! It finished sometime in the middle of the night. But says:

Empty search result

This wizard did not find any recoverable partitions.

wow. That long to find nothing. I wonder what else I can do to see if I can recovery any data from the drive.

4. Xenon2000

Well, I think it's the drive. I just tried it on the original USB 3 controller and then I can't see the drive at all and it clicks. That same controller doesn't work on any other Sata drives. And when I use the 3TB Sata drive in question on my USB 2 controllers, I can see the drive, but several tools show IO errors and bad sectors. So I think the drive itself may have become damaged at the same time the external controller was damaged. I have tried many tools now and none are finding anything. So it's time to see if my friend really wants to pay for drive savers.

I will repeat myself here, what I always tell people. A backup is a when data is duplicated. Storing files in 1 place, like an external hard drive, is NOT a backup. I am amazed at home many people think storing a single copy of data on an external drive is a "backup". I hear people all the time say "yeah, I backed it up on my external hard drive." And then I ask if it's still on their internal hard drive and they say "no". DOH!

My friend may be learning a painful lesson.

5. Paragon_Chris

Paragon_Chris Paragon Moderator

Good advice! I am sorry you were unable to recover any of the data on the drive, it's always hit or miss when a drive fails... and its not if a drive will fail, but when it will fail!

You might want to suggest your friend use our Backup and Recovery software.

We have a free version over at https://www.paragon-software.com/free/ that he can try, and if he likes it I'd recommend the paid version, for $39.95 it's some of the best peace of mind you can have!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.