30 days with ... @ PC World

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Read some of the document. My thoughts are that Google Docs is a fantastic collection of utilities, considering the amount of time they have worked on the project.

Excellent exporting ability, that is, document worked on in Google Docs open in MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint exactly how you viewed them in Google Docs. Something which open office fails a lot of the time.

Ability to share the document with others, and the most obvious, working on a document no matter where you are, work, home, on the move.

I tested its 'powerpoint' equivalent, and created a simple presentation of about 20 slides with text and images. Easy as 123. Fully compatible in powerpoint. Didn't have the standard powerpoint object align problems, where you can never get two objects aligned without difficulty (aligning in settings/manually - and yes the latest office is an improvement, but most people haven't upgraded to it).

For most users, Google Docs is all they need. Yes you can be picky, like the author who says, 'MS Word auto corrects my typing, Google Docs doesn't, just puts a squiggly line'.....Me personally, I find MS Word's auto correct is a pain in the backside.

I prefer to review my document afterwards, see what I typed wrong. If the auto correct does it for me, then how will I ever learn to do it right? :D

And Google Docs auto saving my work every minute. No more 'office not responding', no more corrupt files, no more searching the temporary folder in hope your document and the auto save function worked.

Google Docs ftw. Oh yeah, add 1000 extra points for it being free. Combined with Google Calendar, gmail, gmail chat, all which can be accessed at the top of your browser window, Google wins hands down:thumb:

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, at least he's willing to try.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

True, to his credit he did.

But I think in his conclusion, he should have said, for those users who rely on Word once in a blue moon (at home anyway, most work computers use it all the time), and others who use excel hardly ever, would benefit by switching to Google Docs.

These users would:
    + know where their files are saved (how many home users save to mydocuments, or another folder, and can't find it again)
    + have these files ready to email/save/edit anytime
    + benefit from the less cluttered layout.

:D

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What about the other 30 days ...? Wubi?

It's very tempting. Unlike the other dual boot install in which Ubuntu partitions the disk, this is a dual boot but no partitioning is involved. And if one tires of Ubuntu, removing it is via the control panel as for other software.

The Wubi site has a caution about the grub in 11.04. Updating it could bust things!

I'm going to take a longish look at this :D

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

He's trying to install Ubuntu natively by extracting the ISO, and looking for a Windows installer... Then goes back to installed USB drive and try again. Facepalm.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I like the series. The author is on the honest side and admits his mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.