3 Quick Questions about Chromium browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Feb 18, 2021.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Q1- Is THIS a good site for downloading the latest Chromium browser, OR is there a better site?

Q2- When I install Chromium will it be ready, "out of the box," for viewing YouTube? For bookmarks? For extensions obtained from Google?

Q3- If you are running Google's Chrome (or a clone thereof), why are you not running Chromium instead?

==>I will muchly appreciate your answers to my questions, or ANY other browser-related comments you might care to offer. Aloha!

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Howdy bellgamin,

Just an FYI, besides Chromium Edge now included with Win10 I have Brave browser installed, but I just can't enjoy using either. I like Firefox and... well, that's OT. ;)

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

a1-chromium.org
    a2-yes, it will be.
    a3-because, it's not stable, always in "beta".

4. bellgamin

@imdb -- Thanks. Beta is not a problem. Actually, I myself am still in beta and still discover new bugs every day.

@Krusty -- I have loved Firefox -- still do, even from the days it was Phoenix, and even more when it was Netscape. Have you tried Pale Moon?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Addendum: I am now running Chromium 90.0.4424.0 -- the latest as of this instant. I have given it considerable exercise in the past ffew hours. So far, smooth as a baby's tush.

By the way, I'm running the 32 bit version of Chromium because I have NEVER discovered any reason to run the 64 bit version of browsers. Are there any good reasons? No? I thought so. :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No, not lately.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

1. For years I use MajorGeeks dot com. I always found it difficult to find the download at chromium.org.
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/chromium_64_bit.html
    2. I think so. I only use it vanilla (no add-ons) on some specific sites when disabling my adblockers doesn't work on Vivaldi or FF.
    3. I use Vivaldi based on Chromium because I miss the old Opera. Imho the new Opera is nationstate spyware. And Vivaldi's owner started Opera before selling it for afaik 1 Biilion USD. After waiting out a 2yr non-compete he started Vivaldi.

Oops I'm running 32bit Chromium not 64.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@bellgamin

you might want to try this site for Chromium builds for all platforms, including portable versions, and builds with built-in codecs. The site also provides lots of technical information and so forth on the Chromium project.

9. bellgamin

@wat0114 -- Wow! That link goes to Chromium heaven, and with portable options as well as installers. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  10. Arequire

Arequire Registered Member

11. bellgamin

@Arequire -- great info. Thanks! And welcome to Wilders!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think Chromium is meant from the get go to be portable (zip) & not an install (exe). I just got the latest afaik 64bit from MajorGeeks.

13. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Is there a hack so you can sync your Google profile on Chromium browser?
    I use such a hack on Arch Linux, but I don't know how to do it on Windows.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

a1:
    https://chromium.woolyss.com/

THIS is the original, nothing else

a2)
    chromium is ready, its not that spreaded as chrome, you need to download and install yourself (even as APK/android)
    but on android you should stick with chrome, because is best merged with all other features like maps and more. chromium is not able to do this, same as firefox or other.

a3) chromium is "origin", its code is base for any other build, like chrome, edge, vivaldi, opera aso. - those contain closed-code or specific code (eg edge for windows 10/11).

i use chromium with its sync. no sync, you can use some other build or "ungoogled".

to notice - chromium is NOT portable, whatever tools or other tell you. there exist NO portable build except Opera. But - chromium now has the ability to re-load extensions, but passwords (and maybe ore) are lost.

the most real native portable browser is and remain firefox.
    i am not sure, google restricted access to other builds - not sure if chromium is one of those.

15. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.