3 Antivirus/Anti-Malware Products 'Active' On One PC?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheKid7, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Assuming that you have the Resources (CPU + Memory) available, would it be possible/feasible to have all three of the following with 'active' protection on the same Windows PC?

1. McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7
    2. Emsisoft Anti-Malware
    3. Malwarebytes Small Business Edition or Enterprise Edition

I am looking for a dedicated PC which can be used for the primary purpose of periodically inserting and scanning USB Flash Drives.

Emsisoft States:
    Malwarebytes States:
    Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I think MBAM and EAM would conflict, and I don't see how any PC wouldn't have some noticeable slowdown from 3 real-time products like that.

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think not because MBAM detects on-execution.
    If it misses something malicious then Mamutu should protect the system.
    You can always make exclusions in both products.

4. TheKid7

I don't have any experience with Mamutu. Do you think that Mamutu could be set 'high' enough to be able to block 'unknown' Malware while minimizing 'False Positives'?

5. TheKid7

The USB Flash Drives which would be periodically scanned are formated NTFS and have been 'Vaccinated' with Panda USB Vaccine. I just want to periodically scan the USB Flash Drives to have some high level of confidence that they are Malware Free.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For what you intend to do, you don't need 3 AV's installed with active guard: MBAM and Emisoft can be used as on demand scanners without any problems. I don't know whether McAfee can be used as a scanner only, but Avira for example is installed in all my machines as scanner. if you don't like Avira you could add Hitman Pro. As far as I know you could have as many as you like on demand in the same machine.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Generally you can only do that if any extra AVs you install are installed without real time protection, or they are specifically designed to be installed alongside other antivirus software. It is not enough to disable real time protection after installing them as they need to be installed without any of components that are used for real time protection, or you can get crashes, BSODs or slowdowns. One exception to this is Malwarebytes.

Ad-Aware can be installed without real time protection (and will not install with real time protection if setup detects that another AV is installed), Avira used to and I can only assume still does, also have the option to install it without real time protection, and possibly Avast can do the same.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, I completely agree with you, my statement was too general, and as you mentioned some AVs have provisions to install as pure scanners reducing the risk of conflict. This is one of the aspects I've always liked about Avira, the custom installations allows you to install exactly the modules one wishes to have. Avira + MBAM + Hitman Pro co-exist very well on my machines as pure scanners with no impact on the OS.

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Mcafee seems redundant on the proposed setup.
    Keep it simple and master what you have. One of the golden rules in security.

10. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes, mastering what you have is the key.

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

If you run 2 and 3 as on demand and NOT in real time then 1 could be in RT.

As well , make your setup non conflicting meaning each of 1,2 and 3 should mutually exclude the other 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.