How to disable NAT and still be able surf the internet?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hello, everybody. I wanted to ask you one thing that still bothers me:
    Like I said in my earlier posts, I have Edimax router, and of course NAT is enabled, basically I wanted to shut down router's protection, however, there is absolutely no way I can shut down router protection completely, unless I disable NAT.
    However, if I completely disable NAT, I simply can't surf through the internet.
    Is there any way I can turn off NAT and keep surfing through the internet?

Or, simply than I should buy a new modem- honestly speaking I started to hate NAT, because i want to see when an attack is blocked. I want to use Outpost Pro again, but what's the point of having Outpost Pro if NAT is blocking everything?
    I'm simply totally determined in finding a way to turn off NAT and been able to surf the net, having Outpost Pro for protection and control over blocking attacks and that's it.

Why is it so hard to turn off the NAT without loss of the internet surfing?
    I just want' get rid of NAT, it's started to get really annoying.

Here are some screenshots of Edimax router, in the case it will help to determine procedure how to disable NAT and still be able to surf the internet:
    http://www.pcwintech.com/node/440
    http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-edimax-ar-7064a-edimax-firmware

Here is option about disabling NAT but thew problem I lose ability to surf the internet:
    http://www.pcwintech.com/showimage?file=files/screenshots/Edimax-AR-7064_A/019.png

Thanks for every help you can get.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Place you machine's ip address on the DMZ. That should at least closely simulate bypassing the router's protection entirely.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I don't think that it is possible to do what you want. A router's function is to connect 2 networks, with different IP ranges. For this, it does a Network Address Translation (NAT). If you want to disable NAT, that would mean that both networks are on the same IP range, and in this case you should connect your computer directly to the internet and give up router completely.

4. CoolWebSearch

But, is there any manual how to exactly do that?
    I really don't want to do something wrong, expecially when it comes to the internet.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    actually yours is an ADSL modem router. Usually you should be able to select 'ONLY MODEM' within the list of connection modes. You will then be able to connect only a single PC to the router.

But I could not really see it from the screenshots.

May be better to buy a new Modem Router? I think CISCO/Linksys have this option and should be available in most modern modem routers but check before!

Cheers,
    Fax

6. CoolWebSearch

I truly don't know, if you understood my message: my point plain simple is to connect on the internet without Edimax router's protection at all, basically I want my software firewall to block all incoming attacks, not Edimax router.
    It seems to me that this is just not possible without internet loss.
    I just hope I will somehow find the way, if not than I'll have to wait, until this router "dies" and by a new modem without router's protection.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

wat0114's response is the correct answer. Put yourself in the DMZ and traffic will flow thru to the software firewall as if the router isn't there. Do a Google search on your router and 'DMZ' and you should find some useful info.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you Kerodo :)

9. fax

fax Registered Member

I think that de-militarized zone will allow all traffic on all ports but will not disable the NAT (i.e. the translation to 192.168..... type of addresses) that the OP want to avoid....

I may be wrong :)

Cheers,
    Fax

10. CoolWebSearch

I want to thank to all of you who helped Watt0114, Kerodo, and Fax, especially if this is correct that all ports will be opened when I use DMZ. Thank you a lot, you're truly all helpful, this is why I think this is the best and the most objective forum I've ever visited.
    Cheers.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I would say it does not exactly emulate the setup of modem only, but it should direct all unsolicited traffic directly to the software firewall's network interface. It's worth a try and hopefully it works for you coolio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.