Restore image on smaller partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nn77780608, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nn77780608

nn77780608 Registered Member

Hi,

I use Acronis True Image Home 11.

I made an image (full partition image) from my partition a few weeks ago, at that time my partition was about 300 gb. Now I've split that into two partitions. Now when I try to restore it says that my partition isn't big enough. The image is only about 4gb big, so the rest was free space.

Is there a way to restore that image to a smaller partition?

2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

You can restore a partition to a smaller size.

Somewhere you can "Set the options manually" instead of "Use default options".

If you choose 'manually' you can change the size in the later dialog...

EDIT:
    I'm sorry but the choice above is related to "6.2 Restoring files and folders from file archives".

What you need is "6.3.8 Changing the restored partition size and location".
    There you can change the size with the mouse...

See the mentioned chapters in your manual...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

That's simple to do, I do it all the time. More than likely you have the box that says "MBR" checked.

Uncheck that box and see if that will allow you to restore onto the smaller partition.

I never restore the MBR and have never had problems downsizing a large partition backup into a smaller partition. As long as the "use" data of the backup fits in the destination hard drive partition, it should work everytime.

4. nn77780608

nn77780608 Registered Member

Thank you guys

I found out what the problem was. The new partition was 50gb. The old one was about 300gb. But the thing was that even though the backup image only was about 5 gb the occupied space on the old partition was about 100 gb.
    (Don't know why?)

Thats why I could not choose my 50gb partition.......it was simply to small.

I'm reverting to a different backup.

5. ThomasH

ThomasH Registered Member

I have a similar problem. Can anyone help?
    My drive is 290gb and using 230gb (only one partition [noparse]c:)[/noparse], but I created my image backup of only system files (i told it to ignore my folders containing music and movies) so the actual files contained in the image should only be 20gb. I want to restore the image to a smaller drive / partition to a 186gb drive, but when I try to "Restore Partition Location" it grays out the smaller drive and won't let me do it.

Is this because the used space of 230gb is larger than the new drive of 186gb? Even if I've ignored 210gb of files and the actual uncompressed image is only 20gb?

Do I fix this by splitting my 290gb drive into two partitions, one with system and the other misc files, and creating an image of just the system partition?

Or deleting the misc files and leaving only system files of 20gb on the 290gb, and creating a new image?

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

This is erroneous information. Restoration of the MBR has absolutely nothing to do with the sizes of partitions.

7. hauge48

hauge48 Registered Member

Funny this thing with restoration to a smaller partition. There has been numerous threads on the topic. For some this is a piece of cake, whilst others are struggling. I ended up with doing a disk compaction and disk shrink after restoration, although not straight-forward that either.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ThomasH,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Most probably the media files were not excluded from the backup archive, please provide step-by-step actions you perform while creating this backup and also when you try to restore it.

You can also contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.