203-206-129-25.perm.iinet.net.au

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Owen, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen

Owen Registered Member

This could be purely concidental, but since I installed Ghost Wall and AppDefend(for some reason Regdefend also installed) last night, I notice that my computer frequently connects to 203-206-129-25.perm.iinet.net.au. I'm not sure what's going on there so I've asked Ghost Wall to block the connections.:D

Are the Ghost Security softwares known to connect to iinet?

2. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Ghost Security is a company based in Perth, Western Australia.

iiNet is an Australia - wide Internet Service Provider also based in Perth, Western Australia.

Thus, it would be correct to assume that Ghost Security uses iiNet for web hosting / product updates etc.

The "perm" means a permanent ip address used by businesses vs a "dyn" dynamic ip address used by home users.

Hope that helps.

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Nope, our server is in the united states, not Australia. Not sure why you would be getting connected to that unknowingly, maybe P2P?

4. Owen

Owen Registered Member

Jason thanks for your clarification.

At first I was thinking exactly the same thing as dmenace. Then I asked at Whirlpool iinet forum and given the info provided there I think it's simply a case of iinet sharing resources with my ISP (Exetel). So I would be browsing a site (not necessarily Aussie sites) and my browser would often connect to ****.perm.iinet.net.au to retrive the data. I've sort of confirmed this because when Ghost Wall blocks the connections, I can't browse.

So it has nothing to do Ghost Security, certainly nothing sinister.

I think some other Australian users would notice the same thing if they watch their ports while browsing. Just to give an example, if I browse mlb.com (US major league baseball), firefox.exe would open multiple connections to ****.perm.iinet.net.au. Who would have associated iinet with baseball!

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hmm, are you using a proxy of sorts? I remember from a few years ago I think, that iinet were using some sort of hard web caching, but from the clients perspective it wasn't obvious I thought. Could it just be DNS going out to that iinet address? What port is it going out on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.