202 update changed RSS to VSS

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

When I did my first copy/update with new build it started the windows VSS up. Do I have to change it back to RSS or will it be okay to leave it?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SHould be okay. You can change it back if you desire. The only problem was with Shadowprotect, and that was fixed. I may recheck this weekend.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what VSS is. Can anyone tell me and what it has to do with FDISR? Thanks:)

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. Peter2150

VSS is the Volume Shadow Snapshot. It's the microsoft service that takes a snapshot of a point in time, making it possible to copy the open operating system files. FDISR also has the RSS service which does the same thing, but wasn't done by microsoft.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

twl,
    If you don't understand all this stuff about VSS and RSS, get in the row right behind me.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Peter2150, I'm using the trial copy of FDISR which I installed before the new build came out. When I buy it and uninstall the trial copy and then install the new copy with the new build, will my snapshots and archive function alright?

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ErikAlbert, I feel better hearing you say that. :D I know what an RSS feed is, but when they hit me with VSS in the new build, I became lost.

9. Peter2150

They sure should.

10. Peter2150

RSS in FDISR and RSS feed's have zero in common.

Think of RSS and VSS this way. Say you want to make a sketch of an action seen. But things are moving so fast it's hard to keep one image in mind. So you take a picture(snapshot) of it. Now you have a fixed image taken at a certain point in time. Easy to now draw your sketch.

Kinda of the same thing. When you are using your computer, there are a bunch of open files. These files normally can't be copied. VSS/RSS services, in simple terms takes a snapshot that can be used by imaging programs, FDISR, etc.

Pete

11. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I got a great chuckle out of this :D

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pete, Thanks for the explanation. :D I did my first boot to my secondary snapshot, and another boot back to my primary earlier to see if it works, and it works. Way cool. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.