2009 vs 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Doctor Jellybean, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Jellybean

Doctor Jellybean Registered Member

According to numerous reports and reviews, TI 2009 is buggy. V11 wasn't perfect either, but at least it worked. I'm just about to reinstall Vista 64, and want to create a basic installation image. I can use my copy of v11, but wondered if the latest 2009 build is an improvement.

Maybe it is time to look at an alternative, e.g. Paragon Drive Backup :doubt:

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I can tell you that TI2009 for the way I work is very good. Unfortunately, that means little to anybody else. You are the only one that will know if it handles your way of working properly.

Since you have TI11 that works, you are in an ideal position to evaluate TI2009 for your use because you can recover with a TI11 image if it fails.

My recommendation is to download the trial and give it a try.

Most of the problems with TI2009 appear to revolve around task scheduling and backup management rules which I never use. There seem to be a lot fewer unsupported hardware and validation issues with the boot CD.

3. Faust

Faust Registered Member

TI 10 was a bit iffy with dual boot on my PC, TI 11 was a joke and TI 2009 ticks all the right boxes - without doubt the best version yet - that is for my PC's. Suck it and see as the saying goes.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

TI 10 works on my computers with no problems.
    One of my requirements is that backup images are created and managed automatically without the need for faking it with "consolidations" and manual deletions.

I have no intention of ever moving to V2009. It is a huge step backwards to the horse and cart era. The thought of having to manually perform and manage full disk archives does not float my boat at all.

Xpilot

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If the dreaded version 11 is working for you, then it's probably not worth bothering with 12/2009 unless there is some specific feature in 12 that you feel you must have -- in that case try the free trial to make sure it works on your machine. V12/2009 doesn't have nearly so many bugs as the dreaded 11, but does have some very serious bugs that, if recent history is any indication, will not be fixed in 12/2009. A later version might not have those bugs but will probably have others. Up through version 10, Acronis used to do inerim releases to fix bugs, at least the major ones. That stopped with 11 and 12, which only have minor interim releases that don't not address much in the way of major problems.

6. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I've been using True Image since version 6 and recently upgraded to 2009 but couldn't get it to save images to either of my external hard drives. I went back to version 10 which works great. Unless there is something in 2009 that you absolutely have to have, I'd stick with version 11.

From what I've seen, Acronis has for some time had a problem with testing new versions. I suspect Acronis will get 2009 working reliably at some point.

7. shieber

Based on the the prior version it is not likely that major fixes will be made to ATI 12/2009. It's been out 5 months and only had one update that ignored the biggest problems. The same thing happened with ATI 11. The "fixed" version was purpertedly ATI 12/2009.

I suspect what will be purported as the "fixed" version of ATI 12/2009 will not be a version 12/2009 update but will be ATI 13/2010 or whatever they decide to call that year's model when it comes off the assembly line -- along with a set of new bugs.

8. jmason

jmason Registered Member

I just spent 5 hours trying to get TIH 2009 working on my one month old Vista
    64 bit laptop. The biggest problem: trying to run unscheduled backups or restores gave "Status= Idle". I worked with three TIH 2009 chat techs, (the third tech was uninformed and useless) and with a lot of workarounds, including running TIH 2009 .exe files, I could get TIH 2009 to work temporarily. As soon as I shutdown and restarted the computer I was back to square one with TIH 2009.

For simple home applications, 5 hours is an unreasonable time to spend to get new, just released software working. I have two other Home editions (10 & 11) on two other computers, one XP, the other, Vista, both 32 bit. No problems with those two. But with TIH 2009 on Vista 64 bit- what a headache. Acronis shot itself in the foot by releasing TIH 2009 with all of its problems.

Bottome line: I'm in the process of getting a refund from Acronis (another headache) for TIH 2009. And they have lost my interest in their products. Releasing beta software is unacceptable.

And, No, my Vista 64 bit OS is not corrupt. All software runs fine on it until I try to run TIH 2009.

9. shieber

Which is a darned shame since it already has an ATI 11 bullet in its other foot. ;-)

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

We released a new build of Acronis True Image Home 2009 (build #9709). Several technical issues that were mentioned on this forum have been fixed. Release Notes for Acronis True Image Home 2009 (build 9709) are available here

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.