2-Year "Roll-Up" Update?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by crofttk, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hi, folks. I've not been around the forum for about two years now. I'm trying to piece together where FD-ISR has evolved to in that time. I think I stopped coming here just around the time Raxco decided to retire FD-ISR. I have 5 or 6 licenses for FD-ISR to use on my home network machines that I originally purchased from Raxco. I recently downloaded the Build 205 update from Raxco and have updated my machines.

I've down about an hour of browsing, searching, and reading and could use a little help to see if I have the picture right, i.e., help with my "roll-up update" of my awareness on FD-ISR. Can anyone comment on the truth/accuracy of the following?

1) Since Raxco retired FD-ISR, all further developments/evolution/beta testing has been done directly by Todd/Leapfrog software.

2) Only Horizon Data Systems has sold FD-ISR or one of its incarnations since Raxco and others have stopped.

3) If I can somehow substantiate my original licenses to Todd, I can be issued serial numbers/license codes to enable me to activate builds of FD-ISR from Leapfrog that have succeeded Build 205 from Raxco.

4) Some features such as Enable/Disable Pre-Boot and Freezing may no longer be available in more recent builds of FD-ISR, i.e., they've been, in a sense, "dumbed down". Thus, unless I want to give up some options availability, I may be just as well off to stick with my Build 205.

Hopefully, if someone can help me verify, correct, and complete the above picture, it can help more than me who've stumbled onto all of this for the first time or who've been away awhile and are looking to get quickly up to speed.

Thanks.

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

You are correct for all of the above. Without belaboring the point FDISR in version 205 is a lot differnt & offers more features than the version presently for sale by Horizon. I recently tried the temporarily free Ayrecovery & it just doesn't do what the version 205 does so I will keep my old FDISR. Apparently you do have to substantiate purchase details of your old RAXCO version in order to upgrade to a later build of the old FDISR. If you cannot do this it is not upgradeable to a later rendition. I suspect quite a few cannot really do this so yes version 205 is the end of the line for this fine product.

3. crofttk

Thanks, Woody. I just wasn't sure I had the story connected up correctly.:)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Crofttk

See the stickies at the top of the forum. If you can provide Todd with some credible evidence you own the Raxco FDISR, I am sure he will provide you with a license for the updated version above.

Pete

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

That is or was correct.
    The supported versions of FDISR from Todd since Raxco are still the 'full featured' utilities and are still diamond.
    There was much gnashing of teeth over the loss of the original FDISR.
    Todd still responds here and his input/support is much appreciated.
    Betcha he'll go for the new versions for you if you have the licenses. :)

Lots of expansion into VMWare recently, but FDISR still a cornerstone for me.

Good to see you back ; any good stories...?
    :)
    :)

6. crofttk

Yeah, thanks, Pete. I've been through the stickies. Not sure what constitutes credible. I have order numbers and PDFs of online order confirmations/invoices for 4 licenses direct from Raxco and 3 from Provantage spread between February '04 and late '06 - not sure how else I could substantiate it further other than it was good enough for Raxco to issue me a maintenance agreement on all 7 licenses that ran out Oct '07.

Anyways, I don't have alot of time to play any more, so it's not clear there are any advantages to me reaching beyond Build 205.

Nice to see you as a Global Moderator as you were always one that kept an even temper around here for the amount you participate and I think you're a good choice.

7. crofttk

Hi, Longboard. Naaah, no stories. I've dealt with quite a long commute for the last two years and that means less playtime, plus our kids do more than eat, poop, and cry now so life has become (happily) busy. Seems like holidays (like now, Thanksgiving here in the U.S.) are the only occasion I get to go through my systems and make sure all is up to date anymore, aside from the security stuff that is.

I've been quite happy with the Norton Internet Security 2009 package, it no longer behaves like bloatware. Zone Alarm Security Suite was my choice for a while but they kept taking a dump on me, every time there was an update, they would play dumb and roll it out for a "live beta test" which I didn't appreciate at all while maintaining 6 systems here at home.

Well, sorry to wax OT, but that story did come to mind.:D

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

True or not, that's what I've been hearing; hope its true, competition is always better for us low life, unworthy consumers. :doubt:

Acadia

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:(
    Yeah hear that...I've done everything possible to avoid that. Traffic here can be a killer in downtown Sinney.
    We even moved to a much smaller house to avoid 2 hours each in the car every day. Just hated it.
    :D
    You're not alone brother.
    Tiring this old man out keeping up as they are no longer sessile lifeforms.
    LoL.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You have all you need just go to this link and follow the instructions. Then once done download from the 233 thread.

Pete

PS. Glad you are back.

11. crofttk

Doh! OK, thanks Pete. On second read through I now have processed Todd's statement that these further builds have NO loss of functionality. I reckon getting aboard while it's still easy wouldn't be a bad idea snce who knows what nifty things could pop up in a later build or some kind of product revival. I'll send the empty email and give this a whirl.

12. crofttk

Somewhat late, like 3 and a half months later:

Just to close the loop on this thread, Todd came through, like on a SUNDAY NIGHT! No problems whatsoever and I have 7 - count 'em! - seven FD-ISR "classic" serial numbers in my grubby (virtual) mitts.

Thanks very much, Todd.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, if you ever wanted to get rich quick you could probably start selling those babies at YOUR asking price, then you could retire! :D

Acadia

14. crofttk

Hehe, sometimes I get that impression too. Not sure how legal it is... but I don't have to worry on that question since I pretty much have them all in use for now - and that says something good for FD-ISR too.;)

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh, I know, I was only kidding, my two are enough for me.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.