2 XP Installs with Image from TrueImage

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by xpman, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpman

xpman Registered Member

Well folks, I'm pulling my hair (or what's left of it) out.

I've done a clean XPSP2 Install with all current updates and fresh drivers on my notebook and used TrueImage to back up the installation. Tested killing the partitions, reinstalling from image - all's well.

Now I installed OS Selector, took that same image and installed it on a fresh, second primary partition. Prior to booting the 2nd XP, I went into the setup and hid the the first XP installation. OS Selector proceeds to tell me, that now C: is hidden and D: will become C:. Vice versa, I did the same for the 1st installation, hiding the second one from it.

Upon selecting the second installation, XP complains about some missing "autochk", bluescreens and reboots the machine.

I've tried different variations and sequences to no avail. Has anyone successfully used a TrueImage file in combination with OS Selector or am I doing something basic wrong?

After 6 hours my patience (and my wife's for that matter) have come to a halt.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have two XP partitions, but they are NOT hidden, only the W2K partition is hidden and OSS seems to be happy with that as are the two XP's.

Colin

3. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

On the second XP, the boot.ini probably still refers to partition(1), ie your first XP, and tries to boot it... but being hidden, it gives you that error.
    So edit the boot.ini so that it refers to the proper partition: partition(2) for your second XP.

You can edit that boot.ini within OSS itself: select the 2nd XP icon in OSS, click on Properties, then go to Files section; then select boot.ini in the list and click the Edit button: you'll be able to edit the boot.ini.

/edited edit: additional note: you might also need to prepare winxp for such cloning. XP might somehow remember which partition it was on (eg within registry).
    Consult the following about this problem: http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.