2 questions ! :)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ba2, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ba2

ba2 Registered Member

Hello all
    I have 2 questions :

* is it better to backup a system (including windows) from the boot cd or in windows ? I noticed under boot cd it can't show all hidden/system files. and under windows I think a lot of "used system files" are not backed-up correctly ?

* I have a .tib and I want to backup it on a HDD and burn it on a dvdr too. I want to include on the dvdr with the backup the boot-files and 1click restore. is it possible ?

thanks for your time

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"and under windows I think a lot of "used system files" are not backed-up correctly"
    And why do you think that?
    All my backups are done from within Windows and I have never had a problem with a restore.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Gee, I wish you had told me that the system files aren't backed up correctly after I've made a hundred or so backups. Surprisingly, they work! In other words, that statement is false; TI has technology that handles Windows files being open and changed on the fly.

I believe if you look in the options in the backup wizard you can see where you can include what is called the Acronis files and maybe the 1click restore. You have to be using the direct burn to DVD for the backup to get them I believe. Personally, I don't bother with DVDs as a primary backup because I consider them slow and inferior. Be careful of 1click, AFAIK, you will only end-up with the partitions that are included in the archive such that any other partitions on the disk but not in the backup will be erased.

4. ba2

ba2 Registered Member

I say this, coz I backuped my system under win with no errors 6 months ago and restore it via the boot cd
    windows never load correctly (reboot everytime after the logo)

5. seekforever

Does it work if you create it with the bootcd version?

What build of TI are you using?

6. ba2

ba2 Registered Member

I forgot the version it was approx 9 months ago it was unable to copy some system files to the hdd (it was under boot cd)

another question : the boot cd is "firewire hdd" compatible or is it just usb ? thanks

7. seekforever

If you haven't, upgrade to the latest version which includes making a new boot CD so you get the new fixes and features. Lot of things have been changed in the last 9 months.

The boot CD is supposed to support fireware but it depends on the actual device and its compatibility with the linux drivers included on the CD.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ba2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that there is no essential difference between creating disk\partition images from within Windows and in Linux-based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is used. Acronis True Image utilizes a unique technology that allows creation of a disk\partition images on the live system without the need to reboot the computer. Please see this article explaining in detail how Acronis True Image creates backups when it is running from under Windows.

If you still feel unsafe about creating backups from within Windows, you can exclude a possibility of any third-party software interfering with Acronis True Image by creating backups using Bootable Rescue CD, as no operating system or any other applications are running in this case.

As for system files being not visible when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD, please be aware that this issue is already known and will certainly be fixed in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions. Please also note that Acronis True Image is operating on a sector level when creating diks\partition images and therefore this issue does not prevent it from backing up hidden\system files properly. Please see my reply in this previous thread for further details.

Yes, you can burn additional Media Components such as Acronis One-Click Restore and Acronis True Image standalone version when saving backup to DVD(s). You can later copy the resulting backup from DVD(s) to any of your hard drives.

If you want to save your backup to the hard drive first and burn it to DVD later, you will have to split it into DVD sized chunks, unless your backup fits on one DVD (see section 5.3.6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for details). As for adding bootable components to the resulting DVD(s), please see this previous thread.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the above mentioned User's Guide.

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.