2 questions (I think)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I noticed under device manager that I have an unknown device. I ran Driver Checker and it updated 9 drivers but cannot seem to update successfully 1 driver. I am not sure if the two issues are related or not. I searched the unknown device information on google and found a number of different and conflicting explanations. One site said the driver/device had to do with a Windows update and that it was for Vista but was showing up on XP systems and the device should be disabled. Other sites indicated that it had to do with HP PCs or other PCs (of which mine is not one of them)(I have a Fujitsu Lifebook T Series).

Here is the info I got from Device Manager

APCI\IFX0102
    *IFX0102

The driver that Driver Checker cannot seem to update is

Device Name: INTEL(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI CONTROLLER
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN - 8086Dev_2829

The D on the last line should be underlined (at least it is in Driver Checkers identification of the device.

Is it likely that the 2 issues are one and the same? I suspect not because Driver Checker has been able to identify the outdated driver, it just cannot update it.

Given that the PC seems to be running fine should I just disable the unknown device in Device Manager?

One more thing, I tried uninstalling the driver in Device Manager and when I rebooted the PC I got a message that new hardware had been found. I think it said something about Intel but I could be wrong about this. The device was not able to be installed and when I went to Device Manager the unknown device was back again.

Any suggestions?

PS: Oh yes, I tried unplugging all external devices and rebooting but the unknown device still showed up in Device Manager. This trouble shooting was recommended in a copy of the Langa Report (Fred Langa).

2. axial

axial Registered Member

bgoodman4, I'm surprised you haven't rec'd any replies yet, but seeing as angels fear to tread and all that ....

I believe ACPI is an important part of system functionality, including the BIOS. I'm hoping that you've decided to do a whole lot more surfing before you muck with it, and of course have a known good backup in case things go wrong. Because it involves the system's -- and potentially each device on the system too -- configuration, you might not even know when something has gone wrong with a change you've made, until it's too late to backtrack or diagnose some other erratic performance inadvertently introduced.

This MS KB 314088 warns:

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

What device tree is it a part of ? Is it under the Computer string by chance ?

If it is, it does have to do with power management and the BIOS\Windows relationship. How ever I do`t think it is the end of the world, but, as Axial noted and to the best of my knowledge the only way to correct it is a fresh install of the OS.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

MrBrian: nice tool there: thanks, bookmarked.
    @bgoodman4: post a screeny of your device tree etc..

6. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

The first comment in the first link gives a more recently updated alternate program as well.

7. bgoodman4

Thank you for your reply,,,,,,I have done nothing regarding this issue except hope that someone here will give me some guidance. I do not do is mess with things I do not understand and that includes doing things that might be suggested by others that are above my head. Perhaps I should give MS a call for help. My experience with Fujitsu tech support,,,who I have contacted about this and the driver issue, has not left me with any confidence in them.

8. bgoodman4

I have no idea what the ans to your questions may be, in fact, I don't even understand the questions (and I am smart enough not to pretend I do). If the PC is working properly would I be OK ignoring this issue or should I make a serious effort to get it resolved? I am using RollBack RX and have images created by this program, also, I have images created before the installation of RollBack made using Acronis True Image. If the OS were reinstalled and I restored one of these images, would I be breaking whatever is now broken again? Or is the part of the OS being referred to here deeper into the OS than these programs are able to reach?

9. bgoodman4

10. bgoodman4

Could I trouble you for what exactly the device tree is and where to find it? Is it the window you get when you click on Device Manager?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    visit this link
    select your model from the list under T seris.
    then select your operating system.
    then download and install the drivers.

if you tell me which model of the t seris. and OS i may be able to work out which driver from the link above you need.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sorry bgoodman4. Missed your question. Longboard has you covered.

Thanks Longboard.

From past experience I am going to guess it is linked to "Computer".

14. bgoodman4

Thank you for this. I just want to mention that the Fujitsu tech had me reinstal all drivers using a CD that came with the PC. Doing this actually made things worse. The PC became quite sluggish and it did nothing to resolve either of the problems. Fortunatly I am using RollBack RX and was able to revert the PC to a more functional state. It still takes too long to boot abut otherwise I am pretty happy with things in general.

I am troubled by the 2 issues though and am concerned its a sign of problems down the road. So the question is, is downloading drivers from the website a reasonable thing to do or is it basically redoing what the tech had me do? Also, and perhaps in some ways equally importantly (from an educational point of view) I don't get how drivers are involved here,,,,especially if the issiue of the unrecognized device is related to the boot record as suggested above. I thought drivers "ran" devices, that is hardware, is the boot record not software? Or am I getting the two issues and the recommended solutions mixed up in my head. (this is likely the case no doubt)

PS: the PC was purchased late last summer so I expect the default versions of the drivers for the PC itself are reasonably up to date, at a min I would think reinstalling all the "on board" device drivers from the Fjitsu rescue kit would/should have resolved the issue if it was/is in fact a driver issue.

Please don't feel I am not being grateful here. I really do appreciate the offer to help and the time all you folks are putting in here (as I was in the case of my Sony PC which is now completly toast). I just want to understand what I am doing before I do it. If I do not understand whatever sufficiently to give me a certain level of commfort before I proceed I will not ,,,,,, well, I think you get the idea.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above. Thanks again.

15. bgoodman4

Ah, I did not think it would/could be that easy. The pic is attached. I am going to take a close look at the 2 links provided earlier today (links follow) during the day (Thursday), it is now 4:04 am and I need to get to sleep but as soon as I have anything to report I will do so. Also, of course, if anyone has any further thoughts or comments I am anxious to hear them.

http://www.emergingtechs.com/posts/how-find-drivers-unknown-devices-device-manager/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464

Attached Files:

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

first things first.

have you tryed inserting the driver disc then right clicking the unknown device selecting "update driver" and then using the advanced option add the location of your disc drive?
    windows will check the disc for any relivent drivers on the disc. If that doesnt work point to more specific directories inside and get it to check that directory. repeat until you have got it to check all directories.

what type of harddrive do you have?

im assuming if your using a sata hard drive you are using it in ide mode.
    btw windows xp and vista can cause blue screens of death using AHCI mode if the drivers and or relivent patches from MS arent installed.
    to switch to that mode you would need to enter the bios and change it after you have ininstalled the driver and installed any needed patches for the OS.
    the device you mention in your first post sergests the sata driver from the link I gave should solve the issue.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  17. bgoodman4

No I have not and unfortunately I am traveling at the moment and cannot try this. I will be home Monday and if the issue has not been resolved by then I will try your suggestion.

Here is where I really begin to display the level of knowledge I have------How do I go about finding this out? I tried looking at system information and any other location I can think of to get this info but came up empty. I am sure there is somewhere that details all the components of the PC but I have no idea where to find it.

EDIT: OK, did a google search for a program to provide system info and found the following excellent appearing program (called PC Wizard 2008 - http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php ) and it provided the attached detailed info re the hard drive. Is this what you are looking for?

Attached Files:

18. bgoodman4

I downloaded the linked to (above) program Unknown Devices (excellent little program by the way) and it appears to have identified the unknown device. Details are provided in the attached. Not at all sure how to proceed at this point. Probably I should go to the Fujitsu site and search for the drivers for this but ,,,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    yup use the link i posted above find your model and then download all the intel drivers. if you tell me what model i can try to find which driver is needed.

20. MrBrian

I google'd ven_8086&dev_2a02&subsys_13f910cf&rev_03; both results mentioned Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.

21. bgoodman4

Thank you for this, I would prefer to not just download ALL the Intel drivers and install them. The PC is working to my liking now and I would hate to have to re-jig it. If you could possibly identify the correct driver to correct this problem I would be very grateful.

LifeBook T Series
    Model T2010

Also, would I be correct that this is not a critical issue? That is, if I am unable to correct the problem by installing whatever driver that I need not concern myself or do I really need to get this resolved?

I guess this has no relationship to the boot record in any way, the idea that it did/might was rather distressing.

22. bgoodman4

Thanks for the info.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Nah it doesnt have anything to do with the boot record.

i think its this one
    extract drivers to a folder on the desktop.
    then open up device manager right click on unknown device, click on update driver. use the advanced mode and point to the folder on the desktop with the drivers in it.
    if its the correct driver for the unknown device windows will install it.
    if its the wrong driver windows will tell you no driver was found

tell me how it goes.

24. bgoodman4

No luck, the wizard cannot find the correct software.

25. bgoodman4

Update: tried downloading a bunch of drivers from the Fujitsu website and tried pointing the unknown device driver update to each in turn.

No luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.